Cobra/Maxon Question

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in a topic below - Also used for board announcements.
helmsc

Cobra/Maxon Question

Post by helmsc »

The school I work for uses the Maxon SP-120U and I have a Cobra PR590WX. How you I get the Cobra of mine to talk with the Maxon? Both are unaltered units. We transmit on channel 1 with the Maxon units.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The Cobra PR590WX is an FRS/GMRS radio and is capable of operating only on those frequencies. It is not capable of operating on Business radio frequencies.

The Maxon SP-120 normally operates on Business Radio frequiencies per FCC Part 90. Since you say it is used by a School, it would be under a part 90 license. While the SP-120 could be re-programmed to operate on FRS or GMRS frequencies, such use would not be legal for a school. GMRS is restricted to use by licensed individuals only, a school would not be eligible for a GMRS license. While FRS does not require a license, the SP-120 does not comply with FRS technical standards and can not be legally used on FRS frequencies.
helmsc

Post by helmsc »

Are there any options out there that would give me better range than the Maxon and still be able to use what is channel 4 on the Cobra radio?
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I don't understand your question. The Maxon business radios are higher powered and a generally better radio than the Cobra FRS/GMRS units.

A system with all Maxon or similar business radios should have better range than is possible with the Cobra radios.

Cobra "Channel 4" is shared FRS/GMRS use. If you do not have a GMRS license, use under FRS rules limits power to 0.5W.

From your previous question, I understood you wanted a radio capable of communicating with your school's Maxon units. What do you want to use this radio for and what range do you expect? Why do you want to use "channel 4"?
helmsc

Post by helmsc »

I want to use "channel 4" for communications with my friends in my other job. As for the school radios ... I need something tht will pickup through a BUNCH of concrete walls, most of the time I have to step out of my office to hear the other people decently (if I hear them than)
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

If your employer wants you to have a radio to use on the job, I would expect them to provide you with one of their units.

For personal use, to talk to your friends, you are pretty much limited to what you have with your Cobra on FRS channels.
helmsc

Post by helmsc »

They did provide the Maxon ... but in the area where my office is the reception sucks. I just was looking for an upgrade when I bought the Cobra ( I saw the 8 mile range on the package).
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

helmsc wrote:They did provide the Maxon ... but in the area where my office is the reception sucks. I just was looking for an upgrade when I bought the Cobra ( I saw the 8 mile range on the package).
Range depends on a large number of different things such as:

Buildings (different building material, height, etc all factor in)
Trees
Hills
Mountains
Etc.

Now, if you were on top of mountain a, and your friend stood on top of mountain b 8 miles away and you could see each other - the radios should work just fine.

If your working in a building, your friend is on floor one, and your on floor 3, then, depending on the type of building material, you could hear fine or simply not be able to communicate at all.

Now, on the issue of your radio (FRS/GMRS), there is no way to make those radios talk on other channels. Channel 4 on the Cobra won't match the Maxon unless it's a FRS/GMRS radio made by Maxon. Sadly, it is simply not that easy.

-Alex
helmsc

Post by helmsc »

Is there any kind of amplifier the school could by that would help out between our two buildings?
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

Clarify something:

These are two school buildings - and your using the Cobra radios or the Maxon radios?

Maxon Radios: You could get a repeater, or a base station with an exterior antenna, providing these are on a legitimate licensed frequency. You would have to get a second frequency and relicense the channel as a repeater. You'd have to then get the repeater installed, and your portables reprogramed.

At this point, you should seek professional assistance from a local two-way radio shop.

If they are the other radios (cobra's) then not really. The FCC has strict rules about power output and external antenna's.

-Alex
jwb8734

Post by jwb8734 »

helmsc wrote:Is there any kind of amplifier the school could by that would help out between our two buildings?
Metal and Brick usually reflect signal that is why a poor communication. If the school would want to go with a repeater its about $200 bucks to the FCC for a new liscence but there are other considerations. You would need the repeater and cost about $1000 but yet again other considerations like antenna and cable.

Good Luck.
helmsc

Post by helmsc »

Thanks for the info but sounds like a bit too much money. I was thinking between 200-300.