MOTOROLA SP50 PROGRAMMING

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in a topic below - Also used for board announcements.
commradiosupply

MOTOROLA SP50 PROGRAMMING

Post by commradiosupply »

Hi, I have 3 sp50 uhf that I need to program. Have the OEM programming stand, (new) and V.4.00 RSS new oem. The rib is new, but aftermarket. On a Toshiba Satellite Pentium 120 running genuine Dos 6.22. I get a comm error everytime. But no problem to program my Kenwoods!!
witthoft

Re: MOTOROLA SP50 PROGRAMMING

Post by witthoft »

There are comm port settings so you can change from com1 to com2. Maybe see what port your kenwood software is using and double check that against your motorola software.
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

1: What's the build date of your RSS? If its on or after April of '96, and I'm pretty sure R04 will be, then you should be OK for CPU speed. If its an earlier date, your computer's CPU is too fast. If that's the case, you'll need to find something with an early 486 or earlier CPU.

2: Stupid question, but I feel I have to ask: do you have the radios turned on? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or anything, its just sometimes easy to overlook the simple things.

3: As was already stated earlier, check to verify your RSS is set to the correct COM port.

4: I have, on more than a few occasions, had to pull SP50s down and clean the internal programming contacts to get the computer to talk to them. If you've never been in one of these before, the contacts on the side of the radio use a spring contact to make contact with a set of pads on the circuit board inside the radio. I've had several to get a little corrosion on the spring contacts and/or the pads on the board, and they get poor enough contact that the data can't get through. Just use a pencil eraser to buff them until they're shiny, and that might do the trick.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
Elfnetdesigns

Post by Elfnetdesigns »

The comm error can be due to the computers port not syncing with the radio. This was the issue I had when programming the MT(S, X) 2000 series radios on my usual programming PC in windows RSS. I had to use an old slow 486 DX desktop running DOS and the old MT(S, X) RSS. Depending on the brand and type of computer you have windows may or may not configure COM 1 or 2 the way you would expect them so you can program radios of certain models.
It is ALWAYS best to run DOS RSS on a pure DOS PC, and run Windows based CPS in Windows XP Pro and not higher.

It is kinda odd that an SP50 RSS isnt seeing the RIB and/or radio and your running DOS on a P-1 120MHz.. I have programmed SP50's on 900MHz machine in the past'.

You may want to examine all your cable setup from the COM port all the way down to the radio.
ALSO is the RIB a Motorola RIB or a cheap aftermarket version?
Reason I ask is the aftermarket versions have substituted parts that in the Motorola RIB are exact and I have found in one 3rd party RIB I had to change out 6 resistors, 2 caps, and the voltage regulator to get it to work and read some GP300s.