VX-920 Cross band board

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
silverbk

VX-920 Cross band board

Post by silverbk »

I have a VX-920 however when I bought it. The SRX-4 cross band board was not available. Now I have purchased he board sepearately from my dealer.

Can this part be installed by the user? I'm looking at this radio and I cannot even imagine how it comes apart, and I don't want to mess with the watertight seal.

I have heard that Vertex will install this part for free if you send them the radio. Has anyone ever done that? How long does it take? This is my favorite radio by far now, I'd hate to have to give it up for a month.

Any advice appreciated.

Phil
KC2GDF
Carl_R

Re: VX-920 Cross band board

Post by Carl_R »

I was looking for it but can't find it at the moment but they DO/DID have a bulletine out about that. It basically said they would install the board at no charge since opening the radoi may void the warranty and break the watertight seal.
silverbk wrote:I have a VX-920 however when I bought it. The SRX-4 cross band board was not available. Now I have purchased he board sepearately from my dealer.

Can this part be installed by the user? I'm looking at this radio and I cannot even imagine how it comes apart, and I don't want to mess with the watertight seal.

I have heard that Vertex will install this part for free if you send them the radio. Has anyone ever done that? How long does it take? This is my favorite radio by far now, I'd hate to have to give it up for a month.

Any advice appreciated.

Phil
KC2GDF
silverbk

Post by silverbk »

It wasn't easy, but I was able to get it in. I'll have to take up the warranty issue with Vertex, if it ever comes to that. Experience tells me that the radio will get crushed by a truck, or dropped or lost overboard, so the warranty won't likely be used.

My mistake was not taking off the special nuts for the volume and channel knobs. After I got them off, the board comes off the chassis and you just screw in the sub board.

The rubber gasket was a real pain, and great care must be used to get it back in right.

This advice is only if you don't want to give up your radio for a week, like me.:)

YMMV

Phil
brians2way

Post by brians2way »

You have to send to Vertex you will cause the watertight seal to break and cause problems...