Programming VX-160

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
jfritz001

Programming VX-160

Post by jfritz001 »

I have a slew of Vertex VX-160U portable radios, that I am in need of re-programming.
I have the CE-44 Programming software as well as a USB / Serial programming cable.

I can connect to the radio, upload the data from a radio to the computer, but upon making the changes to the radio and trying to download info to the radio it has a communication error.
I am using a computer using windows xp, its a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop... soo I would assume that might be the problem.
Does anyone have any tips, of info that might help me to be able to get this download to work!?!?!?!
johnm

Re: Programming VX-160

Post by johnm »

I am having this same problem with a VX-180. We are using the CE-44 software to program, and a USB programming cable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

JM
rfcom

Post by rfcom »

Usually the problem comes from the USB to serial converter built into the cable wich is not 100% reliable.
Using a serial interface cable on a computer wich does have a serial com port or using the VERTEX FIF-10 USB interface cable would work fine.
You could also try to checkmark the FIF-10 field under File/Configure.
rural457

Post by rural457 »

jfritz001 wrote:I have a slew of Vertex VX-160U portable radios, that I am in need of re-programming.
I have the CE-44 Programming software as well as a USB / Serial programming cable.

I can connect to the radio, upload the data from a radio to the computer, but upon making the changes to the radio and trying to download info to the radio it has a communication error.
I am using a computer using windows xp, its a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop... soo I would assume that might be the problem.
Does anyone have any tips, of info that might help me to be able to get this download to work!?!?!?!
Does anyone have anymore information on this? I assumed I was having the same problem when using the USB to serial cable on my laptop with Windows XP and it would upload but when trying to download it says "communication error".
So I also have the FIF-10 which I tried using and it will also upload but when trying to download, progress bar reaches the end and then says "data error". So what is causing the data error?