vx-6000 is at 70w what do i have to do to get 100w?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
austenpowers

vx-6000 is at 70w what do i have to do to get 100w?

Post by austenpowers »

i have a vx6000 and love it ,it is an awsum radio, i after the right info to get 100w out of my set,,,
i have software and cable to program frequencies but there is no area in software to get more power from my set ??

what do i need ?
i need to aligne it ?? and for just a power change do i need all the meters connected to the set ??
radio259

Re: vx-6000 is at 70w what do i have to do to get 100w?

Post by radio259 »

Alignment. It is done with the firmware writer thru the DB 25 connector on the rear. It also uses the SVC49 software. Best to have a dealer do it if you have one local. Regular programming software will not align. You close to Pittsburgh??

Paul B
austenpowers

Post by austenpowers »

im in australia , i have the SVC49 software , but my cable which i use to the program frequencies wont work but it uses the side conections like the old mic socket (remote kit fitted to radio) not the rear,,,,
is there a cable wich i can obtaine to get me going .or do i need other expencive suff to get it going ???

could you list exactly what i need if u dont mind and i could have a look around the net for it??
and if u can just a quick run through ?

thanks for your earler reply
austen
oz_com

Post by oz_com »

Just curious if that's 70 Watts into an antenna, or into a 50-Ohm dummy load?

If your wattmeter shows forward and reflected power, then you can calculate the standing wave ratio (VSWR) of your antenna. My Workman SX-144/430 for VHF/UHF has two needles, crossed, so that one shows power out (forward) and the other shows power reflected. The closer the antenna's center frequency is tuned to transmitter output frequency, the less power that is reflected by the antenna and the higher forward power seems to show on the meter. The difference can be substantial in terms of what the radio "appears" to be putting out.

I don't know if all wattmeters behave this way, but I would be interested to know what you're using to make the calculation. Since you say the radio is 100W, I assume it has the UHF split. At UHF frequencies, small variations in antenna length can have a big impact on VSWR. A dummy load which is constant impedance does not have this problem. If your radio is putting 70W into a 50-Ohm dummy load then yeah, it may need alignment.

Best of luck,

-T.
austenpowers

Post by austenpowers »

yep just through the antenna as i dont have a dummy load and swr is about 1.3:1.
i will track up a dummy load ..... and retest. i did have my swr/power meter calabrated so it is spot on ,,,

i tryed to get the software working againe and it just wont pick up the radio on my "ebay" cable,,,

is there a cable wich i can obtaine to get me going .or do i need other expencive suff to get it going ???