VX-924 "Channel Step Mismatch" error while programming

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
leicanthrope

VX-924 "Channel Step Mismatch" error while programming

Post by leicanthrope »

When I last tried to reprogram my VX-924, I encountered a strange error message: "channel step mismatch" during the download process. Now, I'm continually getting this error even when I try to download the default codeplug. Then, when I upload the codeplug back into the computer, the receive frequencies are screwed up. For example, I'll have a bank of frequencies mostly in the 460 MHz range and the receive frequencies will suddenly show up in the neighborhood of 520 MHz. Anyone have any ideas of what might have gone wonky??

Thanks,
--Chris
rfcom

Re: VX-924 "Channel Step Mismatch" error while programming

Post by rfcom »

It looks like the data (IF frequency) sent to the radio got corrupted.
You should be able to correct it by performing the Adjustment Recover under the Radio tab.

Michel
leicanthrope

Post by leicanthrope »

That suggestion solved the problem. However, I've got a new one... I decided to start slow and program in just one channel from the default codeplug to test it. Couldn't hear anything on my second radio. Pulled out the frequency counter, and it appears that the transmission from the radio is slowly sweeping across the dial. The test frequency (around 461 MHz), first showed up on the counter around 438 MHz and then headed downwards from there slowly. I set up a scanner at a frequency just below where it starts, and got a blip of static as the radio transmission passed that frequency. (Sorry for the cumbersome explanation... Think of a scanner on search mode, and then reverse it. Transmitting instead of receiving.) Anyone have any clue what went sideways on me?
Last edited by leicanthrope on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rfcom

Post by rfcom »

It looks like the radio still got corrupted data (PLL reference frequency this time).
If you are using a USB to serial converter between the computer and the programming interface, this might cause the problem.
I would try the adjustment recover and reprogramming the radio with the default file but on a different computer that has a serial port.
leicanthrope

Post by leicanthrope »

That was exactly what I had done last night, immediately before posting. The odd thing is that when I run the alignment recover (including the first instance where it helped), it pops up with an error message telling me that the alignment recovery isn't necessary, and then asks if I want to restore to a factory default.

Do you know if there are any issues with CE59 not playing well with certain operating systems?
rfcom

Post by rfcom »

Even if you get the "alignment data not defect" message, you should accept to restore to the factory default. Very often, the software does not see that there is corrupted data.

There are no issues when the ce59 is used with the differents operating systems but I saw some issues when used with specific computers. A two way radio dealer had same problem as you have in its 5 stores because they were all using the same laptop computer (wich I do not remember the brand/model).
leicanthrope

Post by leicanthrope »

I eventually ended up solving the problem, but now that it has cropped up again over a year later, I can't for the life of me remember what I did to solve it. It's back to doing the weird frequency shifting while transmitting again. Tried it on three different computers, with several different versions of CE59 (2.10, 2.24, 2.25, and 3.01), both on Windows 7 and XP.

Arrgh.