VX-180 Software

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
Alex
Site Administrator

VX-180 Software

Post by Alex »

Is there any hardware/software restrictions on using this software? I assume it's nothing close to what motorola's requirements are.

Should I be concerned?

3/4 of my programming is done on a 486/DX4100, and I've never had a problem before.

My friend has a P233 laptop w/windows on it. I don't think it will be a problem since in the minimal instructions that do come with it says click the icon in windows to open the software.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
jim

Post by jim »

Nope. You buy it and that's it. In fact, it probably will cost you about $50 for the software and you'll get that for other radios with it.

There's no licensing like the Motorola Nazis have.

The software will run on just about anything at all as long as it's slower than 400 MHz. You can also run it under a DOS window without problems.
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

jim wrote: Nope. You buy it and that's it. In fact, it probably will cost you about $50 for the software and you'll get that for other radios with it.

The software will run on just about anything at all as long as it's slower than 400 MHz. You can also run it under a DOS window without problems.
Thanks Jim,

I think my friend paid $20 to get it from Vertex themselves. He was trying to get them to e-mail the software to him if he paid over the phone, but that didn't workout.

Thanks again. (now if only Motorola would follow suit and price their RSS at $20-$50! :wink: )

-Alex
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

alex wrote:
jim wrote: Nope. You buy it and that's it. In fact, it probably will cost you about $50 for the software and you'll get that for other radios with it.

Thanks Jim,

I think my friend paid $20 to get it from Vertex themselves. He was trying to get them to e-mail the software to him if he paid over the phone, but that didn't workout.

Thanks again. (now if only Motorola would follow suit and price their RSS at $20-$50! :wink: )

-Alex
Ok, got the radio programmed last night - anything special I need to do to get QCII working? I couldn't find any tone pairs that exactly matched our tones 1038.X and 569.1 using the Motorola 1-10 settings, so I put them in under the closest possible match in the plectron setting. I'm hoping that it works. Is there something special I need to do to set it up so that it works like a pager and only alerts for a call?

(note) the software is worse than any RSS i've seen/used. I guess that's what happens when you pay 20 vrs Motorola's $300 a pop.

Thanks!

-Alex
willbartlett
Administrator

Post by willbartlett »

I haven't looked at the most recent vertex software, at least since the vx-400 stuff. In the old vx-500 software, under the 2-tome subdirectory, I believe there was an option to enter a custom tone frequency. Anything like that in there?

Will

P.S. a new favorite....
:beer:
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

willbartlett wrote: I haven't looked at the most recent vertex software, at least since the vx-400 stuff. In the old vx-500 software, under the 2-tome subdirectory, I believe there was an option to enter a custom tone frequency. Anything like that in there?
I'll take a look later this weekend if I get a chance. The software was so horrendous I don't know if I can open it again...
P.S. a new favorite....
:beer:
I think my favorite for now is:

:stupid:

You have to click view more emoticons and expand the window. I'll keep browsing around for more.

-Alex
Will

Post by Will »

NOTE: I f anyone needs Vertex parts or programming program(s) let me know. I go by Vertex at least twice a month to get parts. I have a dealer account and freinds there.