Mobile receiver overload?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
wireless1939

Mobile receiver overload?

Post by wireless1939 »

Has anyone experienced rx overload with the vx-4000 or vx-6000 mobiles when operating at close quarters, such as a fire or rescue scene?
jim202

Re: Mobile receiver overload?

Post by jim202 »

Just about any radio will have some overload problems under the right circumstances. Even the top end Motorola radios will do this. So don't feel like your all alone.

The stronger the signal your trying to listen to the better off your going to be. The further away from the other people's frequency you are the better you will receive. However if your trying to pull in a weak signal and your at a location with different agencies, when they talk while your trying to receive, your probably not going to hear much but trash.

Not having used the model Vertex you have, I can't give you any first had feedback. Just remember that the receiver front ends today are for the most part wide banded. The receivers rely on the IF filters to keep near by frequency signals out. It is not always how much you paid for the radio, but rather how well it was engineered.

I keep using Motorola as the comparison. Years ago they did have the best on the market. Today, the quality of their radios has gone way down. They would not be my first choice in todays world. Motorola is strickly looking at it from a profit point of view. How cheep can we make a radio that will just bairly make it pass the specifications. In many cases they wrote the specs so their radios will make it on public safety bids.

Jim
wireless1939

Post by wireless1939 »

Thanks Jim for your reply. I am about to recommend the VX-5500 and VX-6000 to a local fire department. The 6000 being their new 100 watt unit I was curious if anyone using them had experienced such a problem. This is something that I have had complaints of over the years, usually it was motorola, and often it was two police cars sitting ten feet apart and couldn't talk to each other. My answer was use your portable!

thanks again

wireless 1939
radiomanusa

Post by radiomanusa »

You can program a pf key for low power or have a different group and select low power in the channel editor.
jim202

Post by jim202 »

Why not just use a simplex channel or the output of the repeater for simplex. That way your not fighting a desense problem for radios next to each other. Has worked great for better than 70 years.

Jim
wireless1939

Post by wireless1939 »

Thanks to both of you, we'll see how it goes.

Wireless 1939