TK-730 TK-830 dual band set-up

If you are just getting into radio, and have a lot of beginner questions, or just want to help someone new out, then this is the place to do it!
timc185

TK-730 TK-830 dual band set-up

Post by timc185 »

I'm new to the group and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I have recently bought an used Kenwood TK-730 and a TK-830 (from different places off ebay). I've read that these 2 radios can be link to form a dual band using a single head. The TK-830 came with the remote set-up and the TK-730 is a under the dash mount. I've searched for a KRK-4DB cable/kit and cannot find one. I've been told that the new KRK-7DB kit for TK-790 to 890 setup would work. Was wondering if this was true and if anyone could give me some direction in this case. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

Tim
rwo978

Re: TK-730 TK-830 dual band set-up

Post by rwo978 »

The 90 kits will NOT work. Different assemblies and plugs.

Besides the krk-4db, you need the correct eeproms inside the radio (firmware). These are in the form of chips. I can't remember which is for which, but there's a FAA, FAB, FAC, and FAD. One is for standard dash mount or remote mount, one is for dual head, and the other 2 are for dual band (one per radio, #1 and #2). There is also some soldering inside the radios that needs to be completed if I remember correctly.
Ryan
KC0MOZ
rwo978@hotmail.com (use this e-mail, not other)
ka7wnf

Re: TK-730 TK-830 dual band set-up

Post by ka7wnf »

I have the instructions for putting it all together if you manage to find the parts. The only part of a x90 series that works is the cable. It's not a perfect match but the electrical connector fits and they are wired the same.