PLEASE HELP, which brand of Radio Vertex, ICOM, Kenwood????

If you are just getting into radio, and have a lot of beginner questions, or just want to help someone new out, then this is the place to do it!
2nd2none

PLEASE HELP, which brand of Radio Vertex, ICOM, Kenwood????

Post by 2nd2none »

Please Help, I don't know what to get. I am a Law Enforcement Officer and I am looking at the ICOM F50, Kenwood TK2140,TK270, and the Vertex VX180. Which one should I get? Which one is the best preformer?? Any Help is greatly appreciated,
Thank You
963Expert

Post by 963Expert »

That's like saying..... "I'm a law enforcement officer, which should I get, the Ford Crown Vic, the Chevy Caprice, or the Dodge Viper"?

The first question is what do want to do with it? Is this for duty? What does your agency use, is it UHF, VHF, 800? How far will you be from the repeater or base on a regular basis? What do you expect out of the radio?

Each of these are fine radios, it's basically going to come down to price, what you can afford for the quality you expect. I notice you didn't mention Motorola, any reason your leaving that out of your list?

I'm also in your line of work, I use radios all over the spectrum and use the big M almost exclusively, but then again I like the Crown Vics too!

63Expert
2nd2none

Post by 2nd2none »

Well I didn't mention Motorola because I figure it'll be too pricey. The radio will be for on duty use, we use VHF and don't use repeaters. I work in a mountainous area. We currently are using Moto Sabre's(which suck). But soon we are going to ICOM F3("F3GT" I think). But My State Agency seems to get the cheapest they could. I want the best performing one that I could get for a reasonable price. I'm currently looking at the ICOM F50,Kenwood TK2140 or the Motorola EX500/600. I think the Moto will be too much thou. I am expecting to spend around $350. I can get the ICOM for about $300, not sure on the others yet. My radio dealer says he'll give me any radio at his cost. He does do majority of the radio repairs for my agency in my area,which is probably why he will give me good prices. My radio dealer is trying to sell me the ICOM. He said to stay away from Vertex because if they break then it'll be hell to get parts for it. He said the ICOM and Kenwood are about equal. And said Moto is the best but most expensive. And I like the Chevys better,lol. In my area there are alot of dead spots due to mountains(obviously).
I want the best performer that will last, for a good price. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Two way repair man

Post by Two way repair man »

2nd2none wrote:Well I didn't mention Motorola because I figure it'll be too pricey. The radio will be for on duty use, we use VHF and don't use repeaters. I work in a mountainous area. We currently are using Moto Sabre's(which suck). But soon we are going to ICOM F3("F3GT" I think). But My State Agency seems to get the cheapest they could. I want the best performing one that I could get for a reasonable price. I'm currently looking at the ICOM F50,Kenwood TK2140 or the Motorola EX500/600. I think the Moto will be too much thou. I am expecting to spend around $350. I can get the ICOM for about $300, not sure on the others yet. My radio dealer says he'll give me any radio at his cost. He does do majority of the radio repairs for my agency in my area,which is probably why he will give me good prices. My radio dealer is trying to sell me the ICOM. He said to stay away from Vertex because if they break then it'll be hell to get parts for it. He said the ICOM and Kenwood are about equal. And said Moto is the best but most expensive. And I like the Chevys better,lol. In my area there are alot of dead spots due to mountains(obviously).
I want the best performer that will last, for a good price. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1. Purchasing a radio with the highest transmit power and the best receiver sensitivity will help to minimize your dead zones.
2. Using a mobile antenna with high gain such as 3dB (good) or 5dB (best) will help to improve your range. Make sure that the antenna is professionally tuned for peak performance (best SWR measurement).
3. The ultimate fix for dead zones in a mountainous area is to add one or more repeaters. The best thing to do is to have a profession evaluate your areas requirements.
4. Other things that affect your range involve interference from the vehicle such as ECMs or Engine Control Modules, low voltage to the radio while under load (in transmit), obstructions close to the antenna, and antenna height.

I could go on but I have hit the major items you should be looking for.
2nd2none

Post by 2nd2none »

1. Purchasing a radio with the highest transmit power and the best receiver sensitivity will help to minimize your dead zones.

What is better receiver sensitivity? A higher number or lower one? example .25uv or .20uv
Thanks
Two way repair man

Post by Two way repair man »

2nd2none wrote:1. Purchasing a radio with the highest transmit power and the best receiver sensitivity will help to minimize your dead zones.

What is better receiver sensitivity? A higher number or lower one? example .25uv or .20uv
Thanks
.20 microvolts at 12dB SINAD is better than .25 microvolts at 12dB SINAD.
Raymond156

Well if you want the cost to be LESS

Post by Raymond156 »

Well if you want the cost to be less
Then http://www.eBay.com
WE have had super deals from there.

You need to do your HOMEWORK.
but if you do it RIGHT the Great
Deals are there.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Can you try them out?

Post by n9gik »

If this appears twice I was looking at the specs on a radio and my reply went away!

Can you lay your hands on the radios? Even better try them a day or two? The specs on the radios wil probably be very similar. In the real workd you probably won't see a big difference.

The kicker will be things like ease of use, battery life, things like that.

We just bought radios for our fire dept through a FEMA grant. We went with Kenwood TK-272 radios. They are similar to the TK-270 you are looking at.

We didn't do as I suggested. The trustees mad a decision based soley on the bids.
kc2kuy

Post by kc2kuy »

I use the TK-2140 ( i have 2) And i can say they are nice and they get about 4-5 miles on simplex. I use mine for work/SAR/FIRE/EMS..So as you can see they are awsome and take a beating...I have had my one almost 3 yrs........So just my 2 cents...... :D
BILL
kc2kuy
Search & Rescue
Raymond156

Using a portable with"Wills" extender is SUPER

Post by Raymond156 »

Using any simplex portable with a mobile radio
and on http://www.batlab.com
see "Wills" extender unit.This is SUPER
to get maximum distance from any
low cost portable radio.
The cost is VERY CHEAP.

"Will" keep up the GOOD WORK.

The Snow is Here to Stay
WE like FREE manuals
http://www.KB2LJJ.COM
Tom in D.C.

What radio to use?

Post by Tom in D.C. »

What makes you think that you will get better results by changing brands of radio? The Motorola Saber is a time-proven workhorse and is arguably the best all-around analog HT Motorola has ever produced.

If there is a problem with ALL of your Sabers then the problem is with the system, not the individual radios.

And last of all, I have to wonder what kind of LE agency requires its officers to furnish their own radios. That's a real recipe for disaster and unreliability.

Tom in D.C.
W2NJS
1 ADAM 12

Saber and other VHF radios

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

I agree with TOM, either the problems are with your system or at worst you need to have the Saber checked , because when properly tuned they are usually a very good radio. One other thing to consideron the portable side. is a better antenna. Larsen comes to mind http://www.radialllarsen.com/products_p ... rminal.htm
Look at the long whip towards the bottom of the page on the left side. It is available for the MX/Saber thread. Every little bit helps. Even better would be one of the the extendable antennas, they look goofy sometimes, but whats more important than getting out...
Raymond156

You will trade many RADIOS

Post by Raymond156 »

We have been in RADIOS for over thirty years.

You will trade many radios with time.
We have never found the "Just Right Rsdio"
There was always something missing.

Now there are so many channels and bells and
whistles on some radios They are cheap to buy also.
The programming costs are super cheap now also.

The Snow is Here to Stay
WE like FREE manuals
http://www.KB2LJJ.COM