MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

User avatar
Intrinsically Safe
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:19 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by Intrinsically Safe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:44 am

The 1.18.15 FW is for a different radio than the 4.10.11 and they are not interchangeable.
You have a series 4 radio so you will need the 4.x.x code base.
The last FW for that radio was 4.14.5 and would need PCC 2.10.2
I personally would recommend the latest FW for that series from what you have. I know they did some RF performance stuff (specifically Rx sensitivity) since the 4.10.11, and naturally a lot of feature enhancements and bug fixes.
The code updater you can get pretty cheap, getting the new PCC is usually the issue if you wanna keep cost down.
Check with your wing commander, as CAP does have contract pricing with EFJ.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

Bulls729
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by Bulls729 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:54 am

Intrinsically Safe wrote:The 1.18.15 FW is for a different radio than the 4.10.11 and they are not interchangeable.
You have a series 4 radio so you will need the 4.x.x code base.
The last FW for that radio was 4.14.5 and would need PCC 2.10.2
I personally would recommend the latest FW for that series from what you have. I know they did some RF performance stuff (specifically Rx sensitivity) since the 4.10.11, and naturally a lot of feature enhancements and bug fixes.
The code updater you can get pretty cheap, getting the new PCC is usually the issue if you wanna keep cost down.
Check with your wing commander, as CAP does have contract pricing with EFJ.

I.S.
Understood, I was under the impression they were the same radio, I have yet to tell the seller which of the two I wanted. The only difference other than FW is the Model code, for the the V1.18.15 FW the model is "242-5113-310-BF" for the for the V4.10.11 FW it is 242-5113-310BF4", I assumed these were the same radios other than the "4" identifier at the end. Understandably I am no expert, what is the difference between the two radios, does that "4" make a difference in features/options? and out of those two which would be the better to choose from?

PCC I'm not worried about as I am sure multiple people in the Wing have that, which I will send my radi in for programming, but the way I undersand it the FW is normally not included with the PCC software, if any of them only have the PCC and not the updater, how do I or they go about getting it, would that be through EFJ, and what would be the price? Thanks for all your help so far.

User avatar
Intrinsically Safe
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:19 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by Intrinsically Safe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:50 pm

The series 1 radios utilized the Motorola Saber RF deck, whereas the series 4 deck utilized and EFJ RF deck.
The series 4 radios are newer and will support more of the P25 Trunking features you will undoubtedly desire.
Both have the pros and cons but the series 1 has more cons IMO.
The options will be the same between the two.

You can get the updater through EFJ. I think list price is around 50 bucks or so, pretty cheap relatively speaking.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

Bulls729
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by Bulls729 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:23 pm

Intrinsically Safe wrote:The series 1 radios utilized the Motorola Saber RF deck, whereas the series 4 deck utilized and EFJ RF deck.
The series 4 radios are newer and will support more of the P25 Trunking features you will undoubtedly desire.
Both have the pros and cons but the series 1 has more cons IMO.
The options will be the same between the two.

You can get the updater through EFJ. I think list price is around 50 bucks or so, pretty cheap relatively speaking.

I.S.
Gotcha. I've left a message with EFJ Fed. sales for a quote on the upgrade. Also I did find out I do not need trunking, so that's not a huge issue. Given that are there still any differences between the two other than the decks, and is the S4 still preferred?

As for accessories and batteries. Do the XTS/MT Speaker Mics. work on this radio given they have the same connector? Will any of the 2000MAH+ "ebay" batteries (U.S. Seller) work fine, or should I get an IMPRES battery? And as far as antennas go, will it be better to get a full 136-174 antenna or get a 136-150 ant? And the the XTS series antennas are compatible correct? Thank you.

User avatar
Intrinsically Safe
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:19 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by Intrinsically Safe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 am

I'd still go with Series 4. Don't waste your time on the Series 1. TOO many issues with that radio.
MOST XTS accessories will work, but they did do some pinout changes later in its life to change that. It is hard to say 100% that the accessory will work. MOST will however.
The big thing is if you have a MOT charger. There older chargers worked fine, but they did some molding changes later on that made the EFJ radio not fit.
As far as batteries, don't waste your money on an impress battery, that EFJ radio does not employ "smart' batter technology (and IMO, is a waste of money even with MOT, but that is just me).
I know a dealer in Salt Lake City area who can get you aftermarket batt's REALLY cheap that work well if you are interested.
And finally antenna, I prefer the wideband, but I go to a lot of places and don't know what the freq range will be to get a tuned one. If you know you are going to always work within a 10-15 MHz band, then you could get a tuned antenna and increase your performance a little bit.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

salonorg
No Longer Registered
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:34 am

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by salonorg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:37 pm

HI I HAVE ANOTHER ONE I JUST GOT A EFJOHNSON 5100 UHF WITH 4.4.16
MODEL IS 242-5126-460GZ4 CAN YOU SEND ME THE SPECS ON THIS
ALSO IF A RADIO JUST HAS P25 BUT NOT P25 TRUNKING IS IT WORTH ALLOT LESS?
THANKS MR I.S YOUR AWESOME

Bulls729
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by Bulls729 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:26 am

Intrinsically Safe wrote:I'd still go with Series 4. Don't waste your time on the Series 1. TOO many issues with that radio.
MOST XTS accessories will work, but they did do some pinout changes later in its life to change that. It is hard to say 100% that the accessory will work. MOST will however.
The big thing is if you have a MOT charger. There older chargers worked fine, but they did some molding changes later on that made the EFJ radio not fit.
As far as batteries, don't waste your money on an impress battery, that EFJ radio does not employ "smart' batter technology (and IMO, is a waste of money even with MOT, but that is just me).
I know a dealer in Salt Lake City area who can get you aftermarket batt's REALLY cheap that work well if you are interested.
And finally antenna, I prefer the wideband, but I go to a lot of places and don't know what the freq range will be to get a tuned one. If you know you are going to always work within a 10-15 MHz band, then you could get a tuned antenna and increase your performance a little bit.

I.S.
Sure let me know, sorry for the late reply been busy. I sent you an email through the email link on your profile so let me know if you got that. Thanks.

jcemt911
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 am

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by jcemt911 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:37 am

Hey!

Could anyone decode 242-5575-810HQ4?

Thank you very much!

Jared

aarpaz
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by aarpaz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:36 pm

how about

Model: 242-5387-101-MAAB

salonorg
No Longer Registered
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:34 am

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by salonorg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:25 pm

can you decode these for me

242-5273-810DA4

242-5277-860GB4

242-5575-810HQ4

242-5575-810HA4

jhjonesjr
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by jhjonesjr » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Need help decoding model # 242-5575-810HQ4

claman5
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by claman5 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Hello, New to this forum. After reading a lot of Model # help request, I wondered if you could just give us the readouts per digits in the model#? 242-5113-310BF4 ?
If not, then please help me with my above model#.
digit #
1=
2=
3=
4=
5=
6=
7=
8=
9=
10=
11=
12=
13=
Thanks :)

User avatar
Intrinsically Safe
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:19 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by Intrinsically Safe » Mon May 07, 2012 9:40 am

I've been kinda slacking on this topic lately (doh)
As for the above post, I wish it was that easy.... It changes a little depending on the radio type (5100 vs 5300) and also within the radio type depending on the generation. Mobiles aren't as bad, but the portables changed somewhat from the legacy (series 1-3), to the X (series 4) and then with the ES (series 6).
With the new Viking being released I hope this get cleaned up as it is just as frustrating for me too....

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

claman5
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by claman5 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:21 am

Intrinsically Safe wrote:I've been kinda slacking on this topic lately (doh)
As for the above post, I wish it was that easy.... It changes a little depending on the radio type (5100 vs 5300) and also within the radio type depending on the generation. Mobiles aren't as bad, but the portables changed somewhat from the legacy (series 1-3), to the X (series 4) and then with the ES (series 6).
With the new Viking being released I hope this get cleaned up as it is just as frustrating for me too....

I.S.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry the decoding was not simple. Can you help decoding my model #242-5113-310BF4 and age of Ver. 4.10.11firmware?

claman5
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: MODEL STRING DECODE REQUESTS ONLY

Post by claman5 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Can someone please help decoding my model #242-5113-310BF4 and age of Ver. 4.10.11firmware? Thanks

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest