Dayton 5100 special

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

n9llo

Dayton 5100 special

Post by n9llo »

Picked up a 242-5132-410-DA1 at Dayton. This radio does P25. I read somewhere on this board that this model wont do P25 so it may have been upgraded. It is an old radio, version V1.14.3. I need to get sorted out what I need to be able to program this thing. It also hads a flakey channel selector switch, if you wiggle it during transmit you get beep/boop tones and TX drops out and comes back, I will need to look into that. Mabey bad solder or a bad switch. Looking for some discussion with the experts before I go into this thing blind. I have no service manual or programming software at this time.

Chris
N9LLO
Intrinsically Safe

Re: Dayton 5100 special

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

According to my records it wasn't shipped with the P25 Option so it must have been upgraded later (or escaped the factory with a bonus!!)
As for the switch problem, see if it still does it if you rotate the A/B/C switch. I have seen this cause some weird issues. If it still does, pull the channel knob off and make sure the two tabs that control the channel movement are still lined up and aren't bent. For some reason this can cause issues with the radio getting stuck between A/B/C modes. Otherwise it could be the top flex inside the radio.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
n9llo

Post by n9llo »

What version PC configure will I need for this radio?

Chris
N9LLO
Intrinsically Safe

For a 1.14.3 you will need PCC 1.24.0.0

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
n9llo

Post by n9llo »

When I try to read the radio it starts to read then powers down and back up. The software produces the following error " invalid file read/opened" "Operation aborted"

It will read the version file format 5.8
DSP software version 1.0.8
controller version 1.14.3
hardware rev NA
serial number 40-51-32-41-00-03-49-48
boot load 1.11
SEM varsion NA

And the options digital convertional. smartnet trunking,full keypad,512 channels/TG's

Chris
N9LLO
Intrinsically Safe

That means the codeplug that was put in the radio was done with the wrong version of PCC or that the codeplug is corrupted somehow and PCC can't read it out.
You should be able to write a new RCF tot he radio, unless of course you wanted to extract what was in there first.

I.S.
n9llo

Post by n9llo »

I created a new codeplug and it worked fine. Now on to learning how to program EFJ.
Thanks for all your help!

Chris
N9LLO