5100 switch problem

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

n9llo

5100 switch problem

Post by n9llo »

I have a weird problem with my 5100 V1.18.15 UHF low split radio.
The ABC switch does weird things in the B position. Only on transmit.
If I transmit in the B position the thing will rapidly change zones and sometimes lockup in transmit. If the switch is programmed for no function then it will rapidly change channels,(drops out of TX during the channel change). It is worse if you wiggle the switch. The best I can tell by probing with my meter and from the schematic the two lines from the switch to the micro are open in the B position, both tog0 and tog1 would be high.

None of this happens when I use a antenna adapter and feed it into a load.
I have tried a different whip. Is this as simple as a bad switch or flex or is there some known issue with RF getting in somewhere it shouldn't.

Also how receptive is EF to small parts orders? I might try the switch 583-2009-045 and the flex 035-5100-040 4 but if they have a large minium order I may try to find a dealer that will be willing to help me. Mabey on this board???

Chris
N9LLO
flat4turbo

Re: 5100 switch problem

Post by flat4turbo »

It sounds like a bad switch. Looks like there's a short (moisture?), shielding or grounding problem inside the switch that acts as if the channel selector is being turned when in the B position or C position. I'm pretty sure both the selector and ABC collar are on the same switch body.

I doubt that you will have luck getting only the switch from EFJ , because they only use these parts for their internal repair depot and not for sale. You would need to purchase the entire housing (radio case) which includes the switch. ~$200 (ouch). I know because I had a damaged ribbon for the external Accessory Connector, and they do not sell a replacement ribbon by itself despite the part number being on the schematic.

Your possibilities are:
1) If it were possible (and you have sufficient patience/skill/tools) for you to get in there and service the switch. FREE?

2) See if you can remove the switch from the case and see if you can find the connector manufacturer/part number and purchase the switch from one of the electronic distributors on the web. <$20 + time invested in replacing

3) Send it to EFJ for repair: ~$85 + part cost

4) Buy a new case: $200

Good luck,
--flat4turbo