What does a 5300 go for on used market?

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

kwradioguy

What does a 5300 go for on used market?

Post by kwradioguy »

Please excuse the question if inappropriate for this forum. I am curious what a UHF 380-470 MHz P25 version of a 5300 mobile sells for on the used market? Currently, I am using an Astro Saber III for P25. The /\/\ mobiles are of no interest to me. Can't find any use KW radios, and the EFJ gear looks very good - it intrigues me. But, I am unfamiliar with their product line.

Thank You
jim202

Re: What does a 5300 go for on used market?

Post by jim202 »

Depends on how hungry someone is. Ebay might provide a hint as to what some stupid people are willing to pay. Others get more reasonable and
can find some great deals there.

As far as the EFJ radio goes, you will need a programming cable and the software to match the radio. Don't know what that will be until you turn
it on. The radio should display two sets of numbers as it goes through the bootup routine. Write those numbers down. Sometimes you can use
the model number and serial number off of the radio tag. There is a person on here that may be able to provide you with which version of the
software that is needed to fit that radio.

The programming cable can be obtained from an EFJ dealer or from the plant. I don't remember what they are going for these days.

Once you obtain the software and programming cable, it will take some getting use to the ways of EFJ and their software and where you
have to go in it to change things in the radio.

Jim
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Speaking from experience, avoid any 5300 that is REV 4 (really old) or and ARM based one.
The REV 4 will have a firmware version of 5.x.x, the ARM radios will have a firmware version of 1.x.x.

The next gen radios were better (Firmware versions 2.x.x/3.x.x).
The X platform (version 4.x.x) are the most common, if you get one of them you'll be better off. Or if you're lucky you can find an ES version which you'll be the happiest with but used ES radios are very rare since they just came out earlier this year (in 7/800).

Whatever you decide to get I can help you get the right the programming software but the programming cables and box you are on your own.
They have the USB cable coming out that has the RPI box built in and it should be around $150 list price.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kwradioguy

Post by kwradioguy »

Thank you for the reply. How does one tell the FW version of the radio? Does it have to be read first with SW? Or is this data obvious from a label on the radio?
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

As jim202 said. You must power one up and read the display. There are two sets of numbers. The first one is the firmware version of the display head. The second is the radio fw version.

f4t
kwradioguy

Post by kwradioguy »

Sorry, I missed that statement. I am usually don't like when folks fail to read info. And here I am doing it :(

Please excuse that

flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

No Problems,

Happens to everyone. :-)

Hope you find what you need.

-f4t