EFJ5100 Problems

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

rayjk110

EFJ5100 Problems

Post by rayjk110 »

I recently aquired a UHF EFJ5100 Model 242-5132-410-DA1

Anyways, the audio on it is REALLY scratchy, kinda like it is off freq. actually (it's on frequency just fine).

Also, when I PTT, the radio kind of goes stupid sometimes. The display flashes to "Scan Off", "Emergency" and random channel names sometimes when I try to talk. Other times it works fine.

I *think* I probably need to order a new front panel w/ all electronics, LCD, knobs etc. This is a "model 2" radio.

Any help????
flat4turbo

Re: EFJ5100 Problems

Post by flat4turbo »

You are not the first person to complain of this problem. However, it is not a common problem by any stretch. I'm not sure what the reason is for this. Speculation is it may be RF getting back into the ribbon cables that connect the radio's case controls to the user interface board, but it has not been proven. If this were proven true would mean potentially bad shielding somewhere on that ribbon. Unfortunately, this would mean recasing the radio since EFJ does not sell the ribbons separately.

It may also be a loose connection on the ribbons back to the logic board. Either way you'll have to either open the radio to investigate or send it in to the EFJ Svc Dept.

-f4t
rayjk110

Post by rayjk110 »

How much is a new case from EFJ?

When I talk far away from the mic I can hear my voice OK, it is just really quiet. But when I get up on the mic, or at "normal" distance, is when it starts to get crappy.
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

Well a 5100 case will cost a little over $200, but this issue you describe about your distance from the radio changes things.

See if you can give a more descriptive diagnosis of the radio's problem because that just sounds weird, if there is in fact a correlation.

-f4t
rayjk110

Post by rayjk110 »

I tweaked with the radio's internal and external mic gain, same thing, crappy audio. Almost sounds like you're transmitting FM on an AM frequency... over-distorted.

Again when I press the PTT the radio goes weird sometimes too - it goes into emergency, or just switches channels. I'm thinking possibly a bad flex, but I'm a stranger to EFJ stuff.
n9llo

Post by n9llo »

I have the same model with the same weird problem with RF getting in and causing the scan and channel switching problems when transmitting. Does OK into the bird or on an external antenna. Seems that Johnson support is completly lacking compared to Motorola. Does anyone here know the flat rate repair cost on these older 5100's?

Chris
N9LLO
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

n9llo wrote:Seems that Johnson support is completly lacking compared to Motorola.
Well, there's as many EFJ's out in the wild as are Motos, so yeah, the community is much smaller.
EF Johnson Service Center are great people and will speak even with pretty much any individual when experiencing problems with their radios and make suggestions. It is a smaller company and most everyone there know each other across their MN and TX plants.

They are a good company with great customer service.
n9llo wrote:Does anyone here know the flat rate repair cost on these older 5100's?
Yes, your radio is definitely out of warranty and as you had mentioned it is an older (circa 2002~2004) unit. I'm not sure where this batch of 5132-410-DA1s came from, or what conditions these radios were subjected to. Some from this lot appear to have this problem and others do not.

EFJ charges a flat $300 rate minus parts and shipping. You can download the Factory Service Request Form from their website here: http://www.efjohnson.com/repair.asp.

I would call them first and ask to speak with someone in the tech repair dept at 1-800-328-3911 and explain this problem to them, it is possible they would be aware of such a problem and give you pointers, or just ask you to send it if not.

ALT SUGGESTION: Try disabling the use of the ABC selector switch all together from performing any functions through PCConfigure to see if that at least keeps the radio from assuming you are turning that dial when TXing. The ABC switch and the Channel Selector are the only switches which are not "soft-switches", and while you are transmitting, changing the position will make the radio perform the programmed function. Disabling its programming should keep the radio from minding that switch. You do this by assigning that button "Unprogrammed" in the Per_Sys screen, for each system (conventional, p25 trunking, smartnet, smartzone) you may have programmed into the radio. It's a long shot, but if it works you should be able to live without it.

-f4t
n9llo

Post by n9llo »

The comment about lack of support stems from trying to order a replacement channel selector switch to see if that is the problem. They blew me off and tried to get me to go to a dealer 45 miles away. I doubt they have ever seen a 5100. I will try to call the tech line and see if I get anywhere. It shouldn't be that hard to get a $15 switch though.

Chris
N9LLO
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

n9llo wrote:The comment about lack of support stems from trying to order a replacement channel selector switch to see if that is the problem. They blew me off and tried to get me to go to a dealer 45 miles away. I doubt they have ever seen a 5100. I will try to call the tech line and see if I get anywhere. It shouldn't be that hard to get a $15 switch though.

Chris
N9LLO
Well, although there is a part number for the external mechanical and electrical (ribbons) components of the radio, those are "for internal use" (read: svc dept or authorized repair facility use only) part numbers, and will not sell them separately from the casing to individuals. Those parts are built into the case when you purchase it. I could be wrong about this, but, I surmise the reason for this is to preserve the i-Safe features of the casing which are only certifiable when they leave the factory built this way. Most other individual parts/component are available for order.

-f4t