Using a 5100 portable in an XTS vehicle adapter?

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

azlooker

Using a 5100 portable in an XTS vehicle adapter?

Post by azlooker »

Anyone ever try using a 5100 portable in an XTS vehicle adapter? Most of the connections are the same so Im wondering if this would work. Thanks
flat4turbo

Re: Using a 5100 portable in an XTS vehicle adapter?

Post by flat4turbo »

No. The 5100 radio does not physically fit in the XTS convertacoms/MVAs, I have tried it. :-(.

As it turns out EFJ portable body is (roughly) 1/8" thicker than the XTS because the speaker is at the bottom, where the XTS have it at the top. Most drop in-type devices have tight tolerances concerning the shape and lines at the base of the radio, which are worlds different between the two.

Also, even if they did ( or you made it) fit, you'd probably only be able to charge the battery. The XTS radios have additional firmware code to use the extra features like control-head palm mics and the like which the EFJs don't have.

I guess if someone was truly persistent enough and wouldn't mind butchering an MVA, they might get it to partially work, but I wouldn't expect all features to work.

I estimate the best bet would be to buy the EF Johnson drop-in car adapter with the cigarette-lighter plug and use an SMA RF adapter normally used for XTS MVAs and plug that through an amp or straight to an antenna. Maybe even use a speakermic. But obviously would not be as nice sitting in your car, closing the door and dropping the radio in. I personally have not done it though.

-f4t
azlooker

Post by azlooker »

I had forgotten about the differences in case size. Thanks for reminding me. That all makes sense now. I carry my 51XX with me all the time and was thinking it would be nice to use it as a mobile. Guess I will go back to carrying my XTS. Thanks again,
Adam
jobseeker

Post by jobseeker »

Using EFJ5100 portable in Motorola XVA is like mixing apples and oranges. While all portable radios under the APCO P25 standards must have common characteristics, the physical dimensions and other electrical connections of portable radios from various manufacturers is not mandated to be same. I would advise that we should not think of mix and match for a few more years.
READY2RETIRE

Post by READY2RETIRE »

You can purchase a vehicle charger that plugs into you cig lighter from a seller on ebay. Do a search anf I'm sure you'll find it. Works great.
READY2RETIRE

Post by READY2RETIRE »

You can purchase a vehicle charger that plugs into you cig lighter from a seller on ebay. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it. Works great.
MEDIC535

Post by MEDIC535 »

You can say that again....