Legacy 5100, adding features.

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

kd7dey

Legacy 5100, adding features.

Post by kd7dey »

Hey, I have the following radio and I would like to add DES and DES-XL features to my radio. Is this something I can still get from EFJ or am I SOL. I do have PCC, but I'm not near my programming computer right now so I can say what version I have. It does read and write to the radio though. Once I have the features activated, what all do I need to load keys into the radio using a Motorola T3011DX KVL?

EFJ 5100 VHF
Model 242-5113-622-BA
Firmware 1.14.3

Thanks for any help that you guys can provide.
Intrinsically Safe

Re: Legacy 5100, adding features.

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

The 1.x.x radios do not support DES-XL. Only the 3.x.x series supported that.
You can get DES (which of course will be DES-OFB on a digital channel) but it will be the software based and not FIPS certified.
As for loading keys, you can use the EFJ SMA, the MOT KVL-3000/3000+ or your T3011DX. For your T3011DX the radio will HAVE to be programmed in ASN mode since the T3011DX does not support CKR (or as MOT calls it ASTRO) mode.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kd7dey

Post by kd7dey »

Ok, sounds good. So for doing the upgrade, do I just call EFJ and pay for an upgrade file to be sent to me for loading up with PCC?

For loading the keys, do I just get a jedi KVL cable or do I need a special one of the 5100?
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Yeah, EFJ can send you the upgrade file. THey will just need the ESN of your radio(s).
As for the the Keys, you will need and EFJ keyloading cable.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
SDCAPCOMM

Post by SDCAPCOMM »

With a 242-5113-210-DB, Ver 1.8.0, Type III, what if anything can/need I do for CAP use?
I know that currently DES is required and P-25 is coming.
Narrow Band is used.
My radio looks like it was in a Railroad fleet, but excellent shape.
Any help would be appreciated.