5300 Programming Nightmare

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

W0VNE

Re: 5300 Programming Nightmare

Post by W0VNE »

Just an update to the programming nightmare. I have a few radios that boot up super fast and I think are saying V202.
Anyhow I found that I needed to switch to 9600 baud to read or program these radios. Note this changes the options that you can program to the radio. Don't give up. The software versions need to be the correct one for the radio.
n8tvu

Post by n8tvu »

I found in the 5300 HELP section that Johnson suggest using a KEYSPAN USA-19HS USB to 9 pin RS-232 converter. I also had several other USB converters tha did not work, however the KEYSPAN does and I actually found mine on EBAY-that fixed the read write error. The other thing, in PREFENCE you can set the delay times higher which will fix other compatibility issues created by "lag time" between the computer, software and hardware latency.

One other thing on the software, Under TOOLS open PREFERENCES one the next page, click on OTHER under SERIAL COMMUNICATIONS increase the SEND/GET DELAY time. That makes the software "wait" for a response from the hardware-it worked on mine!
motorcoachdoug

Post by motorcoachdoug »

Well I picked up a 5300 ascend series radio and it first says v6.5 then v6.15 A21 after that. I am having the same trouble here that everyone else has been having to program radio as well it saying Communication problem during upload. I have ordered the KEYSPAN USA-19HS USB on e bay and now it is a waiting game until it gets here. I tried everything else that others have tried also. Even using PCConfigure 2.18.2 ,2.18.6 ,with both my old laptop running windows xp and my desktop using windows 7 but run the program in windows xp. Are the cables from RF Guys worth getting if they will not even work??/ Needless to say i feel the frustration that others have gone thru with the same trouble and glad I am not the only one..