Problem with Ef Johnson 5300

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

tinysky

Problem with Ef Johnson 5300

Post by tinysky »

Hi, Sorry that my first post is to ask for help but I have not had any luck getting this figured out. I have a 5300 mobile with the HHC I am able to read and write a personality to the radio. The problem I have is that the radio will function fine for a while then it will get stuck when starting and just display the HHC Version information, it will boot no further. I cycle the radio and it will not get beyond that point. Then a day or so after it will decide to work again.
The radio info is:
file format 5.8
DSP 4.4.8
Controller version 4.4.14
hardware revision 0.2.0
I am using an RFguys cable made for the HHC with a real serial port on a laptop running windows XP3 with hyperthreading and multicore processor shut off in bios
I am able to write to the radio and have several versions of pc configure available to me. I have tried starting with a blank programming list and have tried building off of the original personality and get the same result. I have also tried programming with a desktop with windows XP3 with same result. Was hoping that somebody may have an idea what is going on. The closes dealer to me is over 100 miles away and just became a dealer because of the Kenwood deal. I asked them about working on the radio and got a disturbing.."bring the software and cable with you so we don't have to order it in".

Thanks sorry this was so long
Intrinsically Safe

Re: Problem with Ef Johnson 5300

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

I would start with the correct PCConfig. 4.4.14 should be using PCC 1.28.0.8 for programming.
I have heard hit and miss stories with RF Guys cables but being that you are able to read/write I don't suspect that to be an issue in this case.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
tinysky

Post by tinysky »

Hi, Thanks for the information and the reply. It is very much appreciated.
PC configure 1.28.0.8 is one of programs I have. Unfortunately I have written to the radio with it and get the same results. At first I thought is was the cable as well as I could not read the radio at first but I was using a 64 bit computer, the win xp machine seemed to have solved that. But I suppose could still be an issue. I have programmed vertex, kenwood, icom, bendix king with the same computers with just normal issues so really at a loss what I am doing wrong here.
I went through and checked grounding on the deck, its tight and near the deck itself. The ignition sense line is secure. I had originally used a mag mount antenna base with a base loaded antenna on the roof but was getting a high reflection so changed to a different antenna, different antenna cable and mounted on fender of truck. Reflection is acceptable now but still same issue with radio. Hate to admit it but this has just about got me beat.
tinysky

Post by tinysky »

Anybody have any suggestions of where to go from here?
after 2 weeks of the radio working fine it now will not boot beyond the HHC version prompt. I do get the beep that the radio is running and I get very faint audio of traffic on the channels it is scanning, weird. Right now I am unable to read or write to the radio with 1.28.0.8. I am able to read the radio with newer versions, 1.30 etc, and can read the radio with pctune 3. But the radio screen remains locked.

I have another one of these radios purchased from a different person that acts the same way, could iI be back to having a problem with the programming cable? Would be weird for that to be the case but guess it's possible.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated
Thanks
tinysky

Post by tinysky »

Well this morning the radio is working again. Starts, goes through self test and everything. This has been the case since I have had it and why I was wondering about a grounding issue. Not sure what may be going on.

Starting to think it needs an exorcist.
tinysky

Post by tinysky »

the HHC version is 3.13
Is there a chance that some of the firmware installed on the radio is not compatible with each other?
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

I think this is more likely just an issue with the main unit itself.
My memory isn't the greatest but I think the last FW version for the HHC itself was 3.14 (maybe 3.15), downside is that the HHC isn't something you can flash in the field.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
tinysky

Post by tinysky »

Ok thank you for the information on the HHC.

I went through the radio again last night and check/cleaned all the connections. I was able to reproduce the problem with one of the connections. The ignition sense and accessory connector. When I manipulated it I was able to lock the radio and shut it off as well. I spent some time cleaning the contacts and making sure that they were tight. Now I can violently shake that connector and not affect the radio. So far the radio has started correctly every time and I have cycled the radio numerous times without fail. So it appears that may have been the problem, hopefully. I guess time will tell.

Thank you for the help
Xenia12

Post by Xenia12 »

tinysky wrote:Hi, Sorry that my first post is to ask for help but I have not had any luck getting this figured out. I have a 5300 mobile with the HHC I am able to read and write a personality to the radio. The problem I have is that the radio will function fine for a while then it will get stuck when starting and just display the HHC Version information, it will boot no further. I cycle the radio and it will not get beyond that point. Then a day or so after it will decide to work again.
The radio info is:
file format 5.8
DSP 4.4.8
Controller version 4.4.14Paris shuttle
hardware revision 0.2.0
I am using an RFguys cable made for the HHC with a real serial port on a laptop running windows XP3 with hyperthreading and multicore processor shut off in bios
I am able to write to the radio and have several versions of pc configure available to me. I have tried starting with a blank programming list and have tried building off of the original personality and get the same result. I have also tried programming with a desktop with windows XP3 with same result. Was hoping that somebody may have an idea what is going on. The closes dealer to me is over 100 miles away and just became a dealer because of the Kenwood deal. I asked them about working on the radio and got a disturbing.."bring the software and cable with you so we don't have to order it in".

Thanks sorry this was so long
Hi, I have excactly the same problem, did you find the solution?
surfacemount

Post by surfacemount »

Is there a battery that preserves the internal clock?

If that isn't it, you may need to look inside to see if there is a cold solder joint or a failing capacitor.

Is there a service manual or a one sheet that describes this as a common problem you could search for?

Just throwing out ideas; I don't know.

sm