Ancient 5100 questions!

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

surfacemount

Ancient 5100 questions!

Post by surfacemount »

Hi!

I recently got this radio, and would like to do something with it.

I know for sure it is an EFJ-5100. Also sure it is a VHF model.
Sticker says p/n 242-5117.

On power up, it says v 2.4.6 .

Can this be firmware uplifted by me?

What PC-Configure do I need?

Is there a way similar to moto that I can press a button rapidly and it tell me the complete model number, and if it has encryption / what flavor?

I know it is old, and that Big Johnson doesn't support it, but I'd like to play with it.

Thanks!
Intrinsically Safe

Re: Ancient 5100 questions!

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

2.8.15 is the last release for that radio.
I think the PCC needed is 1.28.0.8.
There is no magic way to get full model number. It should be on the frame under the battery.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
surfacemount

Post by surfacemount »

Under the battery is just a paper sticker.

I am betting its' the AN/PRC-127EFJ version though.

What does a firmware uplift get me?

By the way, thank you for consistently responding. I've lurked here over the years, and you really have been a HUGE asset to the community.
Intrinsically Safe

The PRC127s are the still the same hardware as any other 5100 of the same series.
My guess is, that you have a demo radio or some other sort along those lines. Typically those are all 023- or 888- instead of the full 242-.
Form 2.4.6 to 2.8.15 you will get a ton of operational improvements and some minor RF improvements (mostly with Rx sensitivity) It would take me some time to dig up the list and post but trust me that it is worth it to upgrade!
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
surfacemount

Post by surfacemount »

I don't think it was a demo.

I managed to source the PCC, and was able to read and program the radio!

It has AES and DES-OFB in it, as well as P25.

I tried to load a DES and an AES key into it.

The keyjammer peeped and said OK!, but when the radio cycled, and came back up, I went to an analog mode channel, hit secure, the radio said HW Key 1, then bahbahbah / KEYFAIL, but the slashed circle remained in the display.

Any thoughts as to how I am messing this part up?

Can you give me some keywords to google for the firmware? I forget what the rules are here, so delete this sentence if necessary. I don't want any trouble.
surfacemount

Post by surfacemount »

could you give me some key words to search for the most newest flash for this, and the name of the software that does it?

Also, I am having problems loading a key into it.

I am using a motorola KVL, and a modified motorola cable. It seems to load ok, but then when I cycle the radio, and then switch to coded, it says something like hw keyfail and bahhhs. (I can't remember, been a few weeks now.)

Any thoughts?

sm
W0VNE

Post by W0VNE »

I'm also very interested in old flash files. I've got DSP firmware for the Version one but nothing for the system. I've got some 1.10.x radios that have some firmware problems.

I was told there was a 1.32.11 but its a special version meant for a state. I assume this is just some trunking thing (Which I couldn't care less about) If anyone has details on what versions did what or have flash files I would be super gratefull!.
Intrinsically Safe

surfacemount wrote:could you give me some key words to search for the most newest flash for this, and the name of the software that does it?

Also, I am having problems loading a key into it.

I am using a motorola KVL, and a modified motorola cable. It seems to load ok, but then when I cycle the radio, and then switch to coded, it says something like hw keyfail and bahhhs. (I can't remember, been a few weeks now.)

Any thoughts?

sm
Keyfail on the display means one of two things:
1. There are no keys loaded
2. The programming is pointing to an incorrect PID, most likely an empty slot.

If the key fails to load to the radio your keyfill device will tell you, not the radio. In your case your KVL would let you know that the key did not fill.

As far as firmware updates, most updates are done a program called "Express_Updater_model_Series_version number"
Older ones would be called Xpress_Updater.
And the REALLY old ones were loaded via PCConfigure.
All of the last releases are Express Updater variety and would be the way to load firmware. no point in putting really old code anyway.
Intrinsically Safe

W0VNE wrote:I'm also very interested in old flash files. I've got DSP firmware for the Version one but nothing for the system. I've got some 1.10.x radios that have some firmware problems.

I was told there was a 1.32.11 but its a special version meant for a state. I assume this is just some trunking thing (Which I couldn't care less about) If anyone has details on what versions did what or have flash files I would be super gratefull!.
Series 1 mobiles are a treat! [/sarcasm] These can be pretty picky and run risk of being bricked if things aren't done correctly. Make sure if you get any firmware updaters that it is the one that will detect the correct ARM version. There ones out there that are specific for either the -416 or -816 and if you put the wrong version of firmware in the clock speed will be off and the radio will be a brick. The DSP 1.64 load is usually pretty safe and you won't run into issues. Same with the 1.xx.xx firmware. It is always the boot load firmware that will hose you.

The last general release was 1.30.15
W0VNE

Post by W0VNE »

I know there are a lot of people who are obsessed with version 4 being better then 3 which is better then 2 and onto 1 but the only difference I see are different CPUs and more or less ram. Operationally they seem like Motorola clones (Nothing wrong with that) and even more so on the 5100. Version 6 looks very XTS5000 ish to me. All the rest?

For my version 1 5300s I was able to find the 1.64 DSP updater. Worked on most radios. I think version 1.10.x needs to be updated to something higher before 1.64 will be loadable.

I built up a little circuit (Reverse engineered) to program the radio, do Tune and update firmware. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EF-JOHNSON-5300 ... SwCU1YpQNs I'm even pondering if there is some way to copy the firmware with JTAG but... Thats starting to get somewhat insane. I even tried to buy the version 1 firmware but... The guy on Ebay didn't have it either. I know most of the updates are to fix trunking (Which I don't care about) but I've got a couple of old ones that have that lock up bug that happens once in a blue moon.