Relm RMV800 tx problem

Forum dedicated to discussion on RELM/Regency/Wilson Radio products
radioguy7

Relm RMV800 tx problem

Post by radioguy7 »

I bought an RMV800 vhf radio cheap that has a strange problem. When the radio is first turned on, it transmits just fine. It puts out close to 50 watts. Then after the radio is on for about 5-10 minutes and you key the mic, the red light comes on but the transmit wattage drops to zero. If you are listening on a handheld, it is still transmitting a little because it sounds good with good tx audio, but shows nothing on the wattmeter. If you turn it off and come back in an hour, it still puts out nothing. If you let it set for a day and then turn it on, it's transmitting fine again for a few minutes. Does anyone know if this sounds like a bad PA module or could it be a bad capacitor or something? I lifted the aluminum lid on the chassis and looked at the circuit board and everything looks fine, nothing burnt and no obvious bad solder joints. The radio receives fine and everything else works great. Thanks for any help anyone can give on this.
radioguy7

Re: Relm RMV800 tx problem

Post by radioguy7 »

Just a follow up on this. I went ahead and bought a new PA module from a Chinese vendor and installed it. That seemed to cure the problem. I think the reason the original PA failed was because there was a problem with the threads on the SO-239 antenna coax connector and it wasn't allowing the PL-259 to screw all the way up to where it was tight. I think the original owner used the radio this way for some time and the poor connection caused the PA to fail. I fixed that problem also so that the PL connector will now tighten all the way up like it's supposed to.