vhf regency help

Forum dedicated to discussion on RELM/Regency/Wilson Radio products
Robert HT220

vhf regency help

Post by Robert HT220 »

i've got one of the 10 channel regencys that are user programmable. i got the instructions to program it and it will only let me program channel one. it's not a problem as i only needed one channel at the time but i need to add more now. i put a jumper from ground to pin 12 on the IC403 chip, turned it on, pushed program, then pushed 10, then i entered the freq, etc and pushed enter then hit channel 1, and then i did the other nine freqs. but when i turned the radio back on the only info stored was in channel one. someone know whats going on?

robert
"I only use my siren when running code dinner"
Two way repair man

Re: vhf regency help

Post by Two way repair man »

Robert HT220 wrote:i've got one of the 10 channel regencys that are user programmable. i got the instructions to program it and it will only let me program channel one. it's not a problem as i only needed one channel at the time but i need to add more now. i put a jumper from ground to pin 12 on the IC403 chip, turned it on, pushed program, then pushed 10, then i entered the freq, etc and pushed enter then hit channel 1, and then i did the other nine freqs. but when i turned the radio back on the only info stored was in channel one. someone know whats going on?

robert
Robert,

You have to program exactly 10 digits or exactly 16 digits in each channel. If you are then the problem will be with the microprocessor or the EEPROM. Please email me if you would like it repaired bill@billscommsol.com or visit my web site at http://www.billscommsol.com
I charge a flat rate that covers the parts, labor, shipping, and includes a 90 day warranty. I will program it to your required frequencies and align it at no extra cost.

Regards,

Bill
Robert HT220

Post by Robert HT220 »

OK. I got it working now. One of the freqs I need to enter is 155.040 but which key is the 0?

Robert
Two way repair man

Robert HT220 wrote:OK. I got it working now. One of the freqs I need to enter is 155.040 but which key is the 0?

Robert
10 = 0

Bill
Robert HT220

Post by Robert HT220 »

OK, got it and it worked out good. I just got another Regency radio that looks just like this one(RH250) but it says XL2000 on the back. The FCC ID is ARU9PL XLH250B. Does this one use the same method for programming?

Thanks

Robert
Two way repair man

Robert HT220 wrote:OK, got it and it worked out good. I just got another Regency radio that looks just like this one(RH250) but it says XL2000 on the back. The FCC ID is ARU9PL XLH250B. Does this one use the same method for programming?

Thanks

Robert
Yes, unless the microprocessor has been changed to make it a 16 channel.
Robert HT220

Post by Robert HT220 »

OK, cool. I got it programmed now also. I just got another RH250 from a firefighter that wants me to program it but it won't work right. When I turn it on the speaker makes a pop sound and the display won't light up. He said it used to make some low pitched beep sounds and the scan and priority lights blinked when powered up but they don't do that now either. I guess the microprocessor is screwed up or something. I can probably fix this as I have been working on radios for over 5 years but I need to know where to start checking.

Thanks

Robert
jim202

Post by jim202 »

[quote="Robert HT220"]OK, cool. I got it programmed now also. I just got another RH250 from a firefighter that wants me to program it but it won't work right. When I turn it on the speaker makes a pop sound and the display won't light up. He said it used to make some low pitched beep sounds and the scan and priority lights blinked when powered up but they don't do that now either. I guess the microprocessor is screwed up or something. I can probably fix this as I have been working on radios for over 5 years but I need to know where to start checking.

Thanks

Robert[/quote]

The main problem I see with the RH250, is the front panel flex strip from the key pad goes bad at the key pad. It is not repairable. I have on a couple of times in desparation installed some very small push buttons, wired them up and connected them to the system board. They took the place of the keypad.

Big problem is trying to locate the small push switches. Crap Shack use to carry them, but think they went the way of the wind when the pull stock draws came in.

Jim
Two way repair man

jim202 wrote:
Robert HT220 wrote:OK, cool. I got it programmed now also. I just got another RH250 from a firefighter that wants me to program it but it won't work right. When I turn it on the speaker makes a pop sound and the display won't light up. He said it used to make some low pitched beep sounds and the scan and priority lights blinked when powered up but they don't do that now either. I guess the microprocessor is screwed up or something. I can probably fix this as I have been working on radios for over 5 years but I need to know where to start checking.

Thanks

Robert
The main problem I see with the RH250, is the front panel flex strip from the key pad goes bad at the key pad. It is not repairable. I have on a couple of times in desparation installed some very small push buttons, wired them up and connected them to the system board. They took the place of the keypad.

Big problem is trying to locate the small push switches. Crap Shack use to carry them, but think they went the way of the wind when the pull stock draws came in.

Jim
Gentlemen,

I am a former RELM/Regency employee that has 25 years experience working on these old radios. I can fix nearly anything that might go wrong as I have a small inventory of parts that includes the old keypads. As long as the part is still available, I can order anything I do not have directly from the factory, which is a mere 4 miles from my home. There are a few parts that are no longer available.

Robert - The XLH and RH were manufactured from 1983 until 1987.
The problem you are describing is a common one for up to 6 common causes. If you do fix it, the problem could reappear within a couple of weeks. There were several modifications that corrected multiple problems with the radio and drastically improved the performance. There are up to 37 parts that are added, removed, or changed and no documentation was done to indicate these part changes.

Again, I can service it for you if you get in a bind. I charge a fair rate that includes parts, labor and shipping from me to you and I offer a 90 day warranty. Please email me at bill@billscommsol.com if you are interested.

Bill
Robert HT220

Post by Robert HT220 »

OK, thanks Bill. If I can't get it working right I'll let you know. I have more experience with Motorola radios so I'll probably end up sending the radio to you to get fixed. I gotta let him know about it and I'll see what he wants to do. He told me if it's gonna cost a lot to fix he's just going to buy a 16 freq. Maxtrac.

Thanks again

Robert
Two way repair man

Robert HT220 wrote:OK, thanks Bill. If I can't get it working right I'll let you know. I have more experience with Motorola radios so I'll probably end up sending the radio to you to get fixed. I gotta let him know about it and I'll see what he wants to do. He told me if it's gonna cost a lot to fix he's just going to buy a 16 freq. Maxtrac.

Thanks again

Robert
Robert,

The flat rate price will take care of all of the mods and any realignment that is required. You do know that you can program that radio on the fly (without opening the radio), right. Also, I have the parts to modify the RH250, XLH250 to 16 channels but they cannot be programmed on the fly without a programming switch. Add $20 to the flat rate to convert to 16 channels and to use a switch on the front panel of the radio for a programming switch.

Bill
Bill
Robert HT220

Post by Robert HT220 »

Nope, I thought a jumper was supposed to be installed then removed when you are done programming. That's what I've been doing.

Thanks for the help

Robert
Two way repair man

Robert HT220 wrote:Nope, I thought a jumper was supposed to be installed then removed when you are done programming. That's what I've been doing.

Thanks for the help

Robert
You can leave the programmer jumper in place on a 10 channel, unless it has been modified to a 16 channel. 10 channel MP will have a -15 or -16A stamped on the top and the 16 channel MP has a -02 on the top (part of the Regency part number). The 16 channel will not allow you to transmit if the program jumper is installed.

Important note: After changing the programming "on the fly" you still have to turn the radio off then on to reset it so it goes back to the user mode.
Robert HT220

Post by Robert HT220 »

OK, I didn't know that. The XL2000 I have is a 10 channel, and so is the RH250 I'm working on. I got the radio to power up, I thought the volume switch was dirty so I sprayed some LPS Industrial electrical contact cleaner in it and it worked. I figured it would need to be cleaned because when he brought the radio to me it was covered in dust from sitting in his garage. The inside was really clean opposed to the front panel. I haven't tried programming it yet but I'll try later and see what it does.

Thanks

Robert
FIREMAN5

Re: vhf regency help

Post by FIREMAN5 »

HELLO TO ALL ,THIS IS FIRST TIME TO GET ON E NET FOR ANYTHING. I HAVE BOUGHT A
REGENCY RFH 252 B AS A BACK UP 911 RADIO 2 CH .I NEED INFO ON WHATS NEEDED AND HOW TO PROGRAM THANKS FIREMAN5