Lo-Band Midland Noise Blanker Question

Forum dedicated to discussion on Midland Radio products. (Questions/Instructions about modifing CB radios are prohibited)
vhfguy

Lo-Band Midland Noise Blanker Question

Post by vhfguy »

Have a Midland SynTec Model 70-056 (42-54 Mhz)converted to 6 meters. I plan to use this rig in my pickup. The radio itself works great. It is equipped with a 70-2191 noise blanker. I have followed the factory instructions to retune the noise blanker so it will be closer to 6 meters. Can't get any indication of a signal peak at the test point. The book calls for an input of 50 uv and I have tried that and much more signal. I have run the generator up and down the band from 40 to 50 Mhz to see where it was originally tuned with no luck. I have tried another blanker board and even another radio with the same results.

Is there some "trick" to doing this that I am overlooking?

Thanks.
WB5ITT

Re: Lo-Band Midland Noise Blanker Question

Post by WB5ITT »

vhfguy wrote:Have a Midland SynTec Model 70-056 (42-54 Mhz)converted to 6 meters. I plan to use this rig in my pickup. The radio itself works great. It is equipped with a 70-2191 noise blanker. I have followed the factory instructions to retune the noise blanker so it will be closer to 6 meters. Can't get any indication of a signal peak at the test point. The book calls for an input of 50 uv and I have tried that and much more signal. I have run the generator up and down the band from 40 to 50 Mhz to see where it was originally tuned with no luck. I have tried another blanker board and even another radio with the same results.

Is there some "trick" to doing this that I am overlooking?

Thanks.
IIRC there is a small slide switch on the NB board. It disables the NB totally. Make sure it is in the ON position...IIRC, the LOWBAND STI NB was IF based and NOT a second RF stage like the MICOR, etc....ALl the LB STIs with NB I ever tuned worked great (as long as the switch was on ;)
The STII uses on channel NB......but the STI uses IF based iirc. If the NB is removed, a pin jumper takes it place. I dont remember a different RF stage for the NB.

Chris
WB5ITT