Opinion of Midland Olympian Radios

Forum dedicated to discussion on Midland Radio products. (Questions/Instructions about modifing CB radios are prohibited)
eh2677

Opinion of Midland Olympian Radios

Post by eh2677 »

Who makes the Midland Olympian Radios? The microphone looks like Maxon... but I think I was told that Maxon does not make them but I forgot who. I haven't tried one yet but am curious about other people's opinions. How are they especially dealing with Adjacent Channel Selectivity in the VHF band? Seems that most brands are making radios for 12.5kHz spacing but VHF channels are actually now spaced 7.5kHz apart (formerly 15kHz apart). A 12.5kHz spaced radio would work fine in the UHF band plan as they have gone from being spaced at 25kHz apart to 12.5kHz apart but a radio designed for 12.5kHz spacing in the new VHF band plan is going to be virtually no improvement. It will be almost like keeping your old radio that used to "listen" in 15kHz increments generally with a 450E or 455E ceramic filter which had a bandwidth of + or - 7.5kHz (or 15kHz total). Whether your receiver is listening to 15KHz or 12.5KHz you are going to hear the channel you are on plus the frequency 7.5kHz above and the frequency 7.5KHz below you! I'm finding that the only radios that actually work in VHF environments have 450H or 455H ceramic filters which are + or - 3kHz or 6kHz total... which is less than the 7.5kHz spaced channels so you end up hearing only the frequency you desire!

Thanks!