Thinking of replacing my VHF Spectra with an Orion

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
Garyf629

Thinking of replacing my VHF Spectra with an Orion

Post by Garyf629 »

Hi Folks,

Having worked with Motorola for years, I find myself interested in the GE Orion series of radios. Where can I find out more information about Orions?

Any help would be appreciated!

Gary
WA1MOW
Lord Windeschmere

Post by Lord Windeschmere »

The obvious question is why?

I went thru thinking about switching over. The Spectra is the best mobile transceiver, Rx & Tx wise, ever made. Yeah, it sucks having only 16 channels scannable at once, but do you really need more? The only + the Orion has over the Spectra is the display and hooking up two decks to a head is easier, as long as they are the same firnware revision. I stuck with the Spectras and have been glad when I talk to my Orion-using buddies.
mike m

Post by mike m »

A Lot of people have recently discovered the Orions and I know a lot that have trashed their spectras and are more than happy with the decision. Go over to the ORION group at Yahoo, you will find more help there than here.

Mike
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

The ONLY issue I have with orions is the fact that the VHF splits in the middle - this is the worse design flaw of them.

I have to buy two VHF drawers to cover the splits my spectra does (astro that is...)

-Alex