newB question on Orion radios

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
kd0ezq

newB question on Orion radios

Post by kd0ezq »

Since I dont have much expirience with the newer GE products, Im going to ask some NEW-B questions...

I am wanting to get an Oriion mobile to run on 6m, but I see that there is a dual radio cable available, can I run both a 6m and 2m radio on one control head, or is there some limitations on the bands that can be run together?

Is there an aftermarket source for the programming box and cables for these radios?

Is there much difference in user features between the scan and systems control head?

Thanks for the help!

KD0EZQ
Meatball

Re: newB question on Orion radios

Post by Meatball »

There is a dual radio cable available, and as far as I know, there is no limitation on what bands can be run together.

There is probably an aftermarket source of programming cables. The Orion radio can be programmed using the MACOM ribless 37 pin programming cable for the M7100, which does not require the programming box.

The only difference between the SCAN head and the SYSTEM head is that the system head has a full keypad with 16 keys, while the scan keypad only has four keys. If you're doing dual radio, you'll want the system head...you will need two keys to switch between radio 1 and 2, and will probably also want two mute keys.

Both radios should have the same flash code. OG47402 was the last code written for the Orion, and was specifically written to address dual-radio issues when running Orion/M7100 combination setups.
mikey442

Re: newB question on Orion radios

Post by mikey442 »

re: Orion flash code. where would I find the latest code OG47402?