Master II mobile questions

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
Pj

Master II mobile questions

Post by Pj »

I have a GE MastrII VHF mobile at the ambulance building. Appears to be a 100 (or more) radio.

Radio appears complete. Are these things worth anything to anyone these days?

What kind of amp draw are we talking about we these?

I am looking to reuse this as a base station/reciever at the moment, but if that doesn't happen it may escape out to the wild. Just trying to figure out if we don't use it - if its going to sell to anyone or not.

Should be in whatever range that supports 154.xxx.
From the Federal Signal Price Book:
"Warning: Sirens and Speakers may produce LOUD sounds necessary to request the right-of-way."

Really...You think?
ai4ui
Location: Hung by the neck with a rope until I was dead, dead, dead...

Re: Master II mobile questions

Post by ai4ui »

Pj,

The 110 Watt Mastr II mobile draws about 28 amps on transmit. Unfortunately EBay seems to be the pricing standard for used electronics such as this, and I wouldn't expect you would be able to get more than $50-75 for it there unless your were lucky.

It would make a suitable base station. The receiver, exciter, and PA are pretty much identical to the what is used in the Mastr II station with just different packaging, so you could expect similar performance. These componets can be exchanged with the ones used in the station. The only thing to remember is that the heat sink on the mobile PA is considerablely smaller than what is found on the station, so if you were to use this as a paging transmitter or repeater you will run into heat dissapation issues for long transmissions.

If it is already on your operating frequency that's a good thing. Moving these to another frequency can be expensive because you will have to recrystal the channel elements (ICOM). You can expect to pay in excess of $100 to have both the transmit and receive ICOMs recrystalled. Retuning the radio is fairly easy if you have the tools to do it (DVM, service monitor, nylon hex tools).

You won't be disappointed with the performance of a properly tuned Mastr II.

Robert
Pj

Re: Master II mobile questions

Post by Pj »

Ouch...for some reason I was hoping that it could be reprogrammed via a 286 computer... grrr.

Now that I think about it, I forgot that the EMS freqs changed about 2 years ago, so I know its on the wrong freq.

Between new crystals, antenna, power supply, roof mount..this just may go to the batboard or here for sale.

Thanks!
From the Federal Signal Price Book:
"Warning: Sirens and Speakers may produce LOUD sounds necessary to request the right-of-way."

Really...You think?