How to UNLOCK M-RK???

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
zubmaster

How to UNLOCK M-RK???

Post by zubmaster »

Hello everyone,

The story goes like this... few days back I got a pair of M-RK from a electronics junk seller.. in full working order.. in mint condition.. not a single scratch.I have never seen or used a M RK before.. so have no idea about it and i couldnt find anything helpful from the net. Please give me some more info regarding them.
Ericsson/ M-RK Model PK2GEX / Canada TR-201A (Year 1998, under charger/ 15 buttons on keypad/with display)

Now the problem i am facing, the sets keypad seems to be locked and the channel doesnt go more then 6 on the display. And there is Police written on the screen and when ever u press any key it shows 'locked'. How do i reset the settings? and will this model support repeater function in VHF? 140-150 Mhz?? and is it possible to scan the frequencies with this model??
How do i do master reset directly from the sets??

BTW: The sets belonged to some foreign private company according to the seller and I am sure the sets are not of my countries police.

RGRDS,
mrk

Re: How to UNLOCK M-RK???

Post by mrk »

If you press the menu key followed by the second (lower) sidebutton, it will turn the keypad lock off, but it sounds like you'll need them programmed anyway.
mitaux8030

Post by mitaux8030 »

PK2GEX decodes to a 25kHz bandwidth, 136-160 MHz radio so yes, it will do your VHF freqs.
They can be programmed with repeaters.
They scan, but only scan 'memories' - and only then if they've got the 'option' of scanning enabled from the factory - but most probably do anyway. Scanning frequencies directly would be possible to simulate by programming consecutive frequencies into each channel and scanning channels, but I think you're limited to scanning a 'bank' of 64 channels a time.

There's no master reset from the keypad, and you can't program them by the keypad - you need the correct software and cable for this... the software is not cheap! You might be able to find the older DOS based software for this somewhere on yahoo groups from memory??
zubmaster

Post by zubmaster »

mrk wrote:If you press the menu key followed by the second (lower) sidebutton, it will turn the keypad lock off, but it sounds like you'll need them programmed anyway.

thanx for your reply bro... but the lock didnt open... any other way??
zubmaster

Post by zubmaster »

mitaux8030 wrote:PK2GEX decodes to a 25kHz bandwidth, 136-160 MHz radio so yes, it will do your VHF freqs.
They can be programmed with repeaters.
They scan, but only scan 'memories' - and only then if they've got the 'option' of scanning enabled from the factory - but most probably do anyway. Scanning frequencies directly would be possible to simulate by programming consecutive frequencies into each channel and scanning channels, but I think you're limited to scanning a 'bank' of 64 channels a time.

There's no master reset from the keypad, and you can't program them by the keypad - you need the correct software and cable for this... the software is not cheap! You might be able to find the older DOS based software for this somewhere on yahoo groups from memory??

Thanx a lot for the help bro.. please do me another favour... specify the model/code name of the programmer (windows)... would be great if you can send me the link as well, and also the code of the cables required.
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

Did you try holding the top key (usually Monitor) down for 5 or 6 seconds? I don't have any MRK's in front of me, but I recall having to press one of the side keys in for several seconds. It's kind of a trap, because if you go under MENU and scroll to KEY LOCK, the first thing it'll do is lock the radio.

Bad planning on GE's part.
Glen W Christen

Post by Glen W Christen »

There is also two other possibilites: 1) the front cover assembly has a problem 2)Lock/Unlock is enabled/disabled in the Options tab under PROGRAMMABLE MENUS. It might not be active, but you would have to access it with PROGRAMMER of some vintage.
JungleJim

Post by JungleJim »

The programming software is called Programmer. It is available from Macom or a Macom dealer, some of which may not sell to an individual. There is an older DOS version called EDACS3 which may be downloaded from some websites.

As for the Keylock, the long key press will lock the keypad but you have to use the MENU + CLR method to unlock. If the keypad won't unlock, try the Emergency button, sometimes it gets stuck down and it shares a line with the CLR button. If that doesn't help it is probably the flex assemlby under the front cover and can be anything from cracked solder joints to fouled keypad contacts and corrosion, I've seen them all too many times.
zubmaster

Post by zubmaster »

JungleJim wrote:The programming software is called Programmer. It is available from Macom or a Macom dealer, some of which may not sell to an individual. There is an older DOS version called EDACS3 which may be downloaded from some websites.

As for the Keylock, the long key press will lock the keypad but you have to use the MENU + CLR method to unlock. If the keypad won't unlock, try the Emergency button, sometimes it gets stuck down and it shares a line with the CLR button. If that doesn't help it is probably the flex assemlby under the front cover and can be anything from cracked solder joints to fouled keypad contacts and corrosion, I've seen them all too many times.
Thank you for your concern bro. Good poin you pointed out, but the problem is I have 5 similar sets and all of the having the same problem. I am thinking the key lock is programmed in by the Programmer by the previous owner. Is it possible?

Now I decided to sell of 3 of those and keep 2 for collection. As I stay in bangladesh even if I get the programmer I will need programming kit for that, and shipping them in to Bangladesh would be a BIG problem due to legal reasons and may be costly as well.

RGRDS,
GeneO

Post by GeneO »

To unlock the MRK Keypad, try to press the menu button, then within one second of releasing it, press the top option button on the left side.
GeneO

Post by GeneO »

The radio can be programmed to power up several ways, locked, unlocked, or in the last lock state.
it can always be locked and unlocked using the two buttons, MNU, then the top option within one second.