Query: Should I try for a GE 'Suitcase?'

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
kc7gr

Query: Should I try for a GE 'Suitcase?'

Post by kc7gr »

One other query: I have a short-term opportunity to get a GE 'Suitcase' programmer, but the asking price is (to my eyes) horrendous; $600!

Is there any advantage to having this unit, or are there better (and, hopefully, much cheaper!) alternatives?

Thanks much.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73 de KC7GR (Bruce Lane)
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
mash4077

suitcase programmer

Post by mash4077 »

NO ADVANTAGE AT ALL--TRY NILE'S IN AZ, THEY ARE ON THE WEB--GOOD LUCK!!!!!
jim202

Re: suitcase programmer

Post by jim202 »

I have mixed emotions on which way to go. If you get the suitcase, don't forget that you will need to make sure that the PROM's are installed in it for the radio families that you will want to program.

The Phoenix s and SX, Delta S and SX, Ranger, S950/S990 control head and what ever else you may need. I forget just how many PROM's can fit in the carrier that plugs into the suitcase.

You need to check out the suitcase itself. There is a thermal printer included with the package normally. This has some nicad batteries in it that by this time frame ar probably bad. If the batteries in the printer are dead, the computer may not come on at all. Try unplugging the printer and then try turning on the computer again.

Sometime you may have to push both the on and reset buttons at the same time. The suitcase I have has kind of destoyed the computer internal battery system. As a result, I now can only operate the suitcase system from 120 volst AC.

It still programs radios just fine. Made most of the programming cables myself. Still use it to program Phoenix, Delta S and SX, Ranger radios, and S50/S990 control heads.

Jim