GE Phoenix Question

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.

GE Phoenix Question

Post by 601 »

Ok, so I'm more into Moto, but decided to give GE a try. I picked up a Phoenix SI, and would like some general info. The radio was already on my VHF frequency, I just need to change the CG tone. Is this programmabe or does it require some mods inside?

Any help appreciated!
jim202

Re: GE Phoenix Question

Post by jim202 »

I think your refering to the GE Phoenix SX radio. This radio is fully software programable. You can build a switch box and manually do it or you can find someone with a "suitcase" programer and do it that way.

If you open up the radio, there is an IC with some long pins beside it. This is the XR2212 EEPROM. You can pull the EEPROM and send it to someoine to have them program it. Just make sure you remember which direction the IC was pluged in.

It only takes a few minutes to change any frequency. Most of the Phoenix radios are 16 channels. Some of the earlier ones were just 2 channels. You do need to inform who ever does the programming that the radio has scan or not.

If the radio has scan, it will have 2 sets of channel displays. There will be a scan button, an add button, and a deleate button.

Hope this helps. The Phoenix is a fine radio. The SX version has a fairly broad coverage of frequency range. Off the top of my head, can't remember. Have a number of them in service myself.

Jim
mototech

phoenix programming

Post by mototech »

hello : contact nile's electronic's, you can buy a rib at decent price and I have the software for programming, If you want to do it yourself? MK :lol:

Post by 601 »

Well, it's the only GE radio i've gotten. I paid a whole $10.00 for it, not really knowing what it was (other than the fact that it was already in frequency.) As I said in the previous post, I only use motorola equipment :angel: (Ok, not totally true, I have my share of Maxon, Radioshack, and others). I don't know much as I've really never seen much in the way of GE equipment. Is there anyone that would just be able to change the CG tone in the radio? I'd really hate to spend so much money on equipment I will most likely never use again. I'm all set up for Motorola programming.

It's a single channel -S model.

Thanks!
mototech

phoenix

Post by mototech »

601 : well you may able to do it yourself, their are several version's of this radio, earliest was crystal with a versatone reed, then the s which is programmable, then the sx which is wideband programmable, the s version was narrow band or only a few meg wide, send me the prom with freq and tone you want and I will load it and send back, e-mail me direct
markaudrey@alltel.net------73's Mark :P
KB0HFX

Is a great radio

Post by KB0HFX »

The pheonix is a great radio and will hold up to darn near anything short of a nuke. With a couple of minor mods they cant be beat for digital modes. I used one for packet for awhile (make sure you defeat the cct) and for some experimental pocsag paging.
The N5GG40's I had are gone.
Austin
KB0HFX
mikepdx

Post by mikepdx »

take a look here:

http://www.engr.mun.ca/~gmarsh/phoenix/

I built V01CPU's Phoenix prom programmer
for around $10 US + some junk box parts.
You use the Niles software to produce the data
for it.
It works spectacularly. The suitcase
programmer is for the birds (in my opinion)...

Michael
jim202

Post by jim202 »

Guess you haven't spent much time working on any GE radios and had to do much programming. The PROM programmer may be fine for one or two channels, but when you need to do all 16, it gets to be a pain. Takes too much time and too easy to make a mistake.

Jim