GE delta question

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
motgeradios

GE delta question

Post by motgeradios »

I have an unmarked delta radio that I am trying to find out if it is a delta s or delta sx radio. Is there any way to tell if the cobination number and label is missing? I'm not too familiar with these so I'm not sure if they all look the same or not. I am trying to program it with a s820 control head and the software asks which radio model it will be used with. I'm not sure if it matters but I thought I'd better check. Thanks for your help.
n_zero_ndp

Re: GE delta question

Post by n_zero_ndp »

motgeradios wrote:I have an unmarked delta radio that I am trying to find out if it is a delta s or delta sx radio. Is there any way to tell if the cobination number and label is missing? I'm not too familiar with these so I'm not sure if they all look the same or not. I am trying to program it with a s820 control head and the software asks which radio model it will be used with. I'm not sure if it matters but I thought I'd better check. Thanks for your help.
I am not familiar with the Delta line at all :-? but the microprocessor in the radio should help you identify what model you have. Maybe the following info will help.

Courtesy of the Yahoo Group "GE"
The microprocessors are:

19A703241G1-G8 DELTA/S UHF/VHF MICRO
19A703868G1-G5 & G7 DELTA/SX UHF/VHF MICRO
19A703244G20-G23 DELTA/SX UHF/VHF and RANGR VHF MICRO
19A703868G6 Special for RANGR UHF only
19C851149G1-G4 DELTA/S Low Band MICRO
19C851149G5-G12 DELTA/SX Low Band MICRO
19C851591G1 DELTA/S Low Band MICRO (SOLDER IN FIELD KIT)
19C851591G2-G3 DELTA/SX Low Band MICRO (SOLDER IN FIELD KIT)

Ken
jim202

Re: GE delta question

Post by jim202 »

I have seen some radios where the micro was replaced with the wrong one. The best way to get info on your radio is to locate the circuit board number.

Look on the inside of the radio with the control cable connector pointing towards you. The micro is the large IC in almost the center of the radio. To the left of the micro is another 16 pin IC. Just to the left of that IC you should see the board number.

There are no Delta - SX radios made for low band that I know of. It is my understanding that only the Delta - S were made for lowband. I could be wrong. Both the Delta - S and Delta - SX were made in VHF and UHF versions. They also came in several power levels. Depending on the age, they also came in both universal ground and negative ground versions.

I just happen to pick up a VHF 110 watt manual. The main board number shown is a 19D901162G1. The G1 is 150.8 - 174 Mhz. A G2 would be 136 - 153 Mhz.

There are other visual differences. On the VHF-SX, the receiver tunning area has a cover with just a couple of slots. The S version has all the large slotted tunning slots on the top of the casting where you use a large screw driver to tune the metal slugs.

There are only 2 power levels of the VHF PA units that I know of. Again I could be wrong. They are 110 watts, with the large long fins on the heat sink. The other is a 40 watt version that has short fins on the heat sink. Low band units have a 60 watt and 110 watt PA.

This may not be the information your looking for, but it should start you on your hunt. Give the board here some more info to work with and we may be able to come up with more details to help you.

For those looking to get some of these radios for 6 meters, I have seen several sources selling them with accessories for $85 to $95. No mods needed for 6 meter operation.

With 1 db degradatrion, the max frequency separation on the TX/RX is 2.0 Mhz. in the 42-50 Mhz. range. Just remember that the S version is a narrow band radio. (frequency separation, not deviation)

If someone wants to sell one to you for more money, I would walk away. That kind of depends on which control head comes with the radio. The S950 and S990 control heads will push the price up a little.

Jim
KB0HFX

Post by KB0HFX »

Worst case trying to program it with the wrong setting wont work or you just wont have full capabilities. One thing I like about GE over motorola is its next to imposible to fry the radio and have to send in for service by screwing up something in the programming. Since most of the pertant data abou tthe operation of the radio is stored in eprom rather than in the same place as the programming data. The GE software is easier to deal with one software/radio no special versions security features ect....
Laterz
Austin
If you figure out which one you got I may have a manual for it.