S825 Question...yes another S825 question...

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
Prospect62

S825 Question...yes another S825 question...

Post by Prospect62 »

OK. I've about had it. I love this control head but I need help! Here's what I have:

1- GE Rangr 150 radio
1- S825 control head
Software, RIB, RIB cables and good programming computer

What exactly do I need to make this thing work? I know I need a control cable harness and a power cable. What are the correct model numbers? Where can I get this stuff?

CAN ANYBODY PROVIDE WHAT I NEED?? You guys always come thru for me...don't let me down!
Any help will be appreciated.

bule72@msn.com
n_zero_ndp

Re: S825 Question...yes another S825 question...

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Prospect62 wrote:OK. I've about had it. I love this control head but I need help! Here's what I have:

1- GE Rangr 150 radio
1- S825 control head
Software, RIB, RIB cables and good programming computer

What exactly do I need to make this thing work? I know I need a control cable harness and a power cable. What are the correct model numbers? Where can I get this stuff?

CAN ANYBODY PROVIDE WHAT I NEED?? You guys always come thru for me...don't let me down!
Any help will be appreciated.

bule72@msn.com
You need control/power cable 19D901739G1 (this will work with the Delta S/SX & Rangr - this cable also works with the S550 heads)

I don't have a part number for the S825 power/speaker cable. Hopefully you already got this with the head.

The Rangr must be set up to work with the S825 head by making sure J706 is on pins 2 & 3 (this is the jumper that allows the radio to be programmed - everytime you power on a Rangr/S825 the head will download it's programming to the radio - everytime you change modes on the S825 it downloads to the radio). If this jumper is left on pins 1 & 2, the radio will not accept any new programming (for use with a 550 head).

See this site for a great detailed EXCEL speadsheet on the pin-out of the 19D901739G1 control cable:
http://www.hallelectronics.com/getech/D ... lCable.xls

I see these control cables go for $25 on eBay. Most are even NOS.

If you don't want to mess with eBay - check out this website:
http://home.insightbb.com/~gundoc/gundocys/page8.html
Gundoc is in Louisville, KY - I have purchased GE stuff from him before.
His prices are rather steep but he is an alternative to eBay.

Need anything else, just let me know......

Ken
Prospect62

S825

Post by Prospect62 »

Unfortunately, I do need the power/speaker cable for the 825 head. I'm working on the control cable, it seems that won;t be a problem to get. But the power/speaker cable might be tougher. Check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=4674

Will this work with an S825? Thanks for the help!
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Those cables in the eBay auction are usable on the 825 if you clip the 3 guide tabs off the top (need to leave the tabs intact for use with the 550 head).

I am not 100% sure that the wiring is universal for all of the models he lists there, but I can provide you with the 825 installation manual in PDF form to confirm the wiring.

d-fowler is a good eBay trader & I have purchased GE warez from him in the past (make sure you understand his policy if you plan to purchase using PayPal).

Give me a PM if you want that 825 manual......

Ken
PlagueOfRats

Post by PlagueOfRats »

One little thing we should probably specify; make sure you look up the cable on that spreadsheet, because not all of them have the extra 2 or 3 (can't remember) connections to enable them to pass the download data to the radio from the head. The correct cables will be referred to as "downloading" cables. If the seller doesn't know, get the cable's part# from him and check it.

But!... if you got a non-DL cable, all is not lost. CHeck this site for a fix: http://www.radio-hobby.com/projects_and_info/index.html

ALthough I see the site is up, the link for the page you need is down right now.
Prospect62

Post by Prospect62 »

OK, here's another one. Suppose I put a S825 on a Delta? Do I still have the large S825 channel capacity or am I limited to 16 channels? I'm just not sure about Delta radios. Also, why would I want to stay away from the Delta and look for a Delta SX? Whats the diff? Thanks.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Prospect62 wrote:OK, here's another one. Suppose I put a S825 on a Delta? Do I still have the large S825 channel capacity or am I limited to 16 channels? I'm just not sure about Delta radios. Also, why would I want to stay away from the Delta and look for a Delta SX? Whats the diff? Thanks.
The S825 head will work on the Delta-S/SX radios (you select what radio you plan to use it with while programming the 825 - choices are Delta S, Delta SX or Rangr). The Delta S/SX will yeild the same amount of freqs as the Rangr does (I think???). It will not leave you stuck with only 16 freqs.

If you need a widebanded radio for use on ham freqs as well as public safety stuff then the Delta-SX is what you need. The Delta-S has a very narrow bandwidth of around 5 megs or so. The Delta-S is a good choice for single use applications or for use as a repeater receiver as the selectivity is better on the narrowbanded radio.

Ken
RKG

Post by RKG »

I believe there is some confusion about number of frequencies per "mode" (defined differently in GE land than in M land) and total number of freqs that can be programmed in the control head.

A Rangr and a Delta without the piggyback EEPROM is a 16 channel radio. The S825 can be programmed with multiple "modes" of 16 channels per mode. Each time you change modes, the S825 downloads all 16 channels to the radio.

A Delta with the piggyback EEPROM is a 32-channel radio, and the S825 can be programmed with "modes" of 32 channels per mode. All 32 channels are downloaded to the radio when you change modes.
PlagueOfRats

Post by PlagueOfRats »

I would add that you can get 32 CH per mode with your Rangr if you add a second eeprom. Just solder in a socket, snap in a chip, and program your head with 32 per mode.
Prospect63

Re: S825 Question...yes another S825 question...

Post by Prospect63 »

Why yes, I am resurrecting a 13.5 year-old thread.

Does anyone have the P/N of the power/speaker cable for an S825? Does anyone still come here? Helllooooooo....
I used to be Prospect62