EPH Runtime Error Problems Prevent Programming from PC

This forum is created for the discussion of Bendix King Radios.

Moderator: mancow

Glenn_at_OES

EPH Runtime Error Problems Prevent Programming from PC

Post by Glenn_at_OES »

Runtime error: 6148: Invalid row number
Radio: EPH5102X (handheld - vintage ???)
Programming Software: I have 3 versions but the only one the radio connects with is:
EPH Editor for Windows 95/NT v1.1.0 (my PC running Win XT v5.1 SP3), COM1 at 4800 baud.
Programming Cable:LAA0725

I can not find the original program CD (of course it's the oldest one!), so I'm noodling around with the install that is still on my PC from previous years.

Problem: When I open the program (no download yet), I see the default settings for all 14 channels for Group-1. When I try to save to another name (to begin writing a new file) I get the 6148 runtime error and the program closes. Same happens when I try to view any other Group.

I can successfully download what is in the radio, but if I try to edit and save (or view groups), it once again gives me the 6148 runtime error - closing the program.

Because the error manifests even before I do any download, I suspect a corrupt Access DB - but don't know enough to try anything there.

I’m at a loss for what to do and would appreciate “next-step” suggestions.
ai4ui
Location: Hung by the neck with a rope until I was dead, dead, dead...

Re: EPH Runtime Error Problems Prevent Programming from PC

Post by ai4ui »

I had the same issue and had to delete and re-install the software. I know you said that you no longer had the install disk, but it is out in the wild.
Glenn_at_OES

Post by Glenn_at_OES »

Thank you for your reply ai4ui. I will take your advice for action (as soon as I locate or acquire the software - the search is "on" at our site).
Glenn_at_OES

Post by Glenn_at_OES »

Runtime error: 6148: Invalid row number

Radio: EPH5102X (handheld - vintage ???)
Programming Software: EPH Editor for Windows 95/NT v1.1.6
Port: COM1 at 4800 baud.
Programming Cable:LAA0725

I found the original program in the archives – removed the old software and re-installed the archive copy.

NO change in the problem.

Problem: (3 radios – all the same) When I open the program (no download yet), I see the default settings for all 14 channels for Group-1. When I try to save to another name (to begin writing a new file) I get the 6148 runtime error and the program closes. Same happens when I try to view any other Group.

I can successfully download what is in the radio, but if I try to edit and save (or just view any other group other than Group-1) it once again gives me the 6148 runtime error - closing the program.

After changing groups in the radio (verifying that there is populated data in that group), and performing a “Read Group From Radio” function, only Group-1 data is read into the program. Any attempt to change the program’s Current Group causes the runtime error and closes the program window.

I’m at a loss for what to do and would appreciate “next-step” suggestions.
com501

Post by com501 »

Check your FONT size in display settings. The software is known to crash if your font for display is set to anything but NORMAL size. Icons, too.
RafterTroy

Post by RafterTroy »

I am having the same problem. I can read and write the radio with my toughbook at the Fire Department, then with the same software on toughbook at home I can read but no editing or writing to radio. Does anyone have and ideas. I am sure it is a settings issue or something. I get the same invalid row number HELP!
Troy
RafterTroy

Post by RafterTroy »

Try this. Change your Windows to classic style and everything works great!!!
Troy
ranger321

Post by ranger321 »

I realize it has been 5 years since the last post to this thread BUT the USCG Auxiliary in Florida just "inherited" 300 old EPH radios that are usable for disaster coordination and we got the program both on disk and down load version. Both are unusable, the Error 6148 on the disk and file location error on the down load that only allows the download computer to run the program. The old laptop we have for the EPH programing gets the Error 6148 and I do not have a serial port on the desktop with the online connection.

Any thoughts of where to go for help would be appreciated.

Steve Budd-Jack, USCG Auxiliary, Palmetto, Florida
donerhardt

Post by donerhardt »

I noticed one of the potential corrections was to use a computer with Windows 95. Did anyone have any luck trying this or did anyone tryu this considering that W-95 is over 20 years old. We have come into a large amountof the Bendix Kinf radios an have been stopped by the "runntime error".

Any help will be appreciated.
RealZenDiesel

Post by RealZenDiesel »

First time poster. I created an account just to post the solution for this problem. I keep a computer running Windows XP because I purchase and enjoy what is now ancient technology (on SSD, so it is really fast) so I know for certain this solution works on XP it may run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 or later HOWEVER keep in mind you will most likely need "Compatibility Mode" for WINDOWS 95 if you are not using XP. I am running this in compatibility mode for Windows 95 on my XP machine but I am not completely certain if that is necessary. I finally have it working after a few hours of chin stroking so I am going to leave it be.

For Windows XP
Make sure that the programming software is closed / exited out of first.

1. Use Windows Explorer and Go to c:\Program Files\EPHEdWin\
2. RIGHT-click on EPHEdWin.exe (should be the second file down if you don't have file extensions turned on)
3. Go to the bottom and select Properties (from the RIGHT-click menu)
4. On the middle tab "Compatibility" check "Disable Visual Themes."
5. Click "Apply" and close out of that window.
6. Now run EPH programmer.

You should be able to read the radio as normal but now when you click save and/or write you will no longer receive the 6148 runtime error. For computers later than XP especially anything with a 64 bit file system make sure that you run compatibility mode. This will put the program in a file system reminiscent of what a program that was written over 2 decades ago is looking for.