Thales / Racal owners on here?

This is a forum to discuss Thales / Racal radios such as the Thales Liberty, T25, PRC-148.
mancow

Thales / Racal owners on here?

Post by mancow »

So, who on here has some of this stuff. I have a couple of different Thales portables and am a loyal fan of their stuff.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Re: Thales / Racal owners on here?

Post by n9gik »

No, but I was tempted last month. There was an auction on ebay with ... I forget ... 50 or more HT's plus a whole bunch of accessories. I called the seller. They sell stuff for race cars and had radios private labeled. They decided to get out of that and go with a name brand. I am pretty sure he said they were Thales. I decided not to bid because it was more than I wanted to handle.

If I were a shop or felt like messing with ebay again it would have been a deal.
Last edited by n9gik on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

I have 4-5 of them at home. Great radios.
mancow

Post by mancow »

No s*** dang.... I missed that one. Do you have the item # so I can look it up?
n9gik wrote:No, but I was tempted last month. There was an auction on ebay with ... I forget ... 50 or more HT's plus a whole bunch of accessories. I called the seller. They sell stuff for face cars and had radios private labeled. They decided to get out of that and go with a name brand. I am pretty sure he said they were Thales. I decided not to bid because it was more than I wanted to handle.

If I were a shop or felt like messing with ebay again it would have been a deal.
mancow

Post by mancow »

What about the MBITR. Any of those floating around here?
n9gik
Site Supporter

Post by n9gik »

mancow wrote: Do you have the item # so I can look it up?
I thought it was deleted when I cleaned up my "My eBay" page a couple weeks ago and cleared all the old stuff out. But I happened to think, I created an ebay folder on my inbox and set up a filter to route everything ebay related there, and I didn't empty it!

Turns out it was mid-November. Ebay auction number 260312406597
48 Rugged Radios, 5 watt 16 channel both UHF and VHF models – New and used
120 12 volt battery eliminators – New
14 Program cables (programming software included) - New
83 Single ear earpieces with lapel/sleeve mic - New
175 Light duty single ear headsets with boom mic – New
65 Batteries – New and used
20 Single unit drop in chargers – New and used
25 Radio Housings – New
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Might as well add me to the list of Thales 25 owners....
rayjk110

Post by rayjk110 »

I've owned the "saber" looking one (forget the model # but it's the one that's commonly surplus'd). Nice radio, wish I had another.

Can't wait to own a Liberty... ever since I've had the chance to demo one I don't think I'd buy an XTS again.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

rayjk110 wrote:I've owned the "saber" looking one (forget the model # but it's the one that's commonly surplus'd). Nice radio, wish I had another.

Can't wait to own a Liberty... ever since I've had the chance to demo one I don't think I'd buy an XTS again.

I'll wait for "mancow" to get a LIBERTY... He always buys the coolest radios first around here 8)

On an MBITR note... think I saw them in use on the NatGeo show last nite "Marine One"...
Need to visit the "cow" to see the real deal upclose...
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

rayjk110 wrote:Can't wait to own a Liberty... ever since I've had the chance to demo one I don't think I'd buy an XTS again.
Wait... where and when did you demo a Liberty?
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

Alex wrote:
rayjk110 wrote:Can't wait to own a Liberty... ever since I've had the chance to demo one I don't think I'd buy an XTS again.
Wait... where and when did you demo a Liberty?
+1, and being on the receiving end of a two way conversation with someone that has one does not count.
mancow

Post by mancow »

+ 2 Where / How did you demo a Liberty?

NDP... I saw the Airforce One documentary a few weeks ago where the guy was out in front of the parked plane with an MBITR and the wideband 90-512 whip.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

mancow wrote:NDP... I saw the Airforce One documentary a few weeks ago where the guy was out in front of the parked plane with an MBITR and the wideband 90-512 whip.
I saw someone on the Marine One helo episode standing on the NYC WALL ST. helo pad... Not really what I call a portable
but it is smaller than the manpack AN/PRC-117F

mancow

Post by mancow »

Harris AN/PRC-117G(V)1(C) Secure Personal Radio or baby sincgars or whatever they tend to call it?