RF-3200 Service Manual

This Forum is for the discussion of Harris Equipment/Radios. Examples: Unity XG100/XM100, P7100, P7200, P7300, M7100, M7200, M7300, XG75/XM75, XG25/XM75, Unity XL-200P, and The Master Repeaters.
firemedic

RF-3200 Service Manual

Post by firemedic »

Anyone know if the service manual for the RF-3200 is floating around anywhere? I have one here with no power out. Fuses check fine but that's about all the farther I want to try it without a service manual. I've got a RT-350 running so I'm not as worried but it would be nice to have a NTIA approved radio on the air. Thanks!!!

Keith Dobbins KC8RFW
Parkersburg, WV 26104
mancow

Re: RF-3200 Service Manual

Post by mancow »

Where did you get that RF-3200 , if I may ask? That is neat as hell.
firemedic

Re: RF-3200 Service Manual

Post by firemedic »

Columbus Ohio DMRO auction about 5 years ago. Sitting in a box at the house since. I fired it up and no power out so it went in the storgage box. They were used as HF modems by the coast guard on lake erie from what I can tell. I got 3 of the 5 they had. A friend found and got the other 2 but they both worked. They were supposed to have 10 others but we never found them in the auction that day. These were in a batch lot sitting in the bottom of the box. Got the box for $50.00. Had some 400-430 astro spectras (they pulled the vocons), PRC radios of different types (PRC-126, PRC-127, PRC-136s), and lots of headsets and cables (David Clark H76 style). Pretty much a box they threw together to get rid of stuff. Now it seems at the auctions they try to make money as the Gov Liquidation took over. This was back in the onsite bid days for stuff which I thought was better and less ebay like. I got the RT-350 I have on the pallet beside the box for the same price. They misslabeled it and I got both the pallet and box together. I got the 3 RT-3200's, the RT-350 and 500 watt amp, RF adaptvie controller which I assume was a ALE controller but can't find alot of info, and an antenna coupler that I need to fix the fan in it.

Harris had the service manual and they did work with me on some minor troubleshooting but sugested getting the manual for service to work out the problems the radios have. The inital problem was they require a password for channel programming but we managed to get that from service from the serial numbers as it generates this from that. The bad thing is they have the manual at $500 with a 3-6 month wait time for it to be sent to be published as there isn't a high demand for it and they don't keep copies in stock from what they said. I think the ARRL uses the RF-3200 and the amplifier and tunner that goes with it for their test but don't hold me to that. I need it for my CAP comms due to it being NTIA compliant vs my RT-350 which I prefer but isn't NTIA. I didn't get the antenna tunners for the RF-3200's and can say in 5 years I've yet to see one anywhere for sale which kinda sucks. I guess I'll stick to the manual tunner but that takes ALE out of the picture which the RF-3200's will do with PC Control from what I can tell.

They are pretty nice compact units and would be good for a semi portable setup for HF if needed. For the manpack use I have a AN/PRC-70 manpack that I had modified for both sidebands and a custom battery pack made for it. So that serves my portable HF needs as it has an antenna tunner for a long wire or whip antenna and I managed to get it to do PSK31 with a custom cable to the mic jack.

Keith Dobbins KC8RFW