ICOM 2100H

Forum dedicated to discussion on Icom Commercial Radio products such as F70, F80, F1721, F2821, F9011, F9021, F9411, F9521, F9511HT.
Prospect62

ICOM 2100H

Post by Prospect62 »

I have an ICOM 2100H radio modified, of course. I cannot seem to get it to operated properly on duplex. My transmit frequency is 161.250 w/ a PL of 110.9. It has been set as such. My receive frequency is 154.370, also programmed. For some reason, it just will not hit the repeater. Any suggestions? :eeek:

Post by 007 »

Have you seen what the RF power out at 161 MHz is?

I noted on mine that the PA got very unhappy at certain freqs above 152 MHz.
The serial bus on my Orion is working for it's money.
Prospect62

Post by Prospect62 »

Is this the case with all 2 meter radios modified to work in the commercial band? I've since gotten rid of that 2100, but I was just curious if this is a common problem. ICOM offers nice stuff, but ever since owning this radio I've been hesitant to try them again for fear that their radios won't work right in the commercial band.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Prospect62 wrote:Is this the case with all 2 meter radios modified to work in the commercial band? I've since gotten rid of that 2100, but I was just curious if this is a common problem. ICOM offers nice stuff, but ever since owning this radio I've been hesitant to try them again for fear that their radios won't work right in the commercial band.
I wouldn't really call it a problem.
Those radios are not spec'ed to tx anywhere outside of the ham band, so they won't work very well (if at all) over 10 meg from there intended bandsplit. They rx well o-o-b but the tx will quickly run out of gas the further you get away from the hamband.
jim202

Post by jim202 »

[quote="n_zero_ndp"][quote="Prospect62"]Is this the case with all 2 meter radios modified to work in the commercial band? I've since gotten rid of that 2100, but I was just curious if this is a common problem. ICOM offers nice stuff, but ever since owning this radio I've been hesitant to try them again for fear that their radios won't work right in the commercial band.[/quote]

Those radios are not spec'ed to tx anywhere outside of the ham band, so they won't work very well (if at all) over 10 meg from there intended bandsplit. They rx well o-o-b but the tx will quickly run out of gas the further you get away from the hamband.[/quote]

The problem lies in how the TX low pass filter was designed. The roll off frequency is designed to operate for the ham frequencies. When you get much above them, the filters kicks in and attenuates any TX RF above it's designed frequency. As a result, little or no power out in the higher frequencies.

Jim
jim202

Post by jim202 »

[quote="n_zero_ndp"][quote="Prospect62"]Is this the case with all 2 meter radios modified to work in the commercial band? I've since gotten rid of that 2100, but I was just curious if this is a common problem. ICOM offers nice stuff, but ever since owning this radio I've been hesitant to try them again for fear that their radios won't work right in the commercial band.[/quote]

Those radios are not spec'ed to tx anywhere outside of the ham band, so they won't work very well (if at all) over 10 meg from there intended bandsplit. They rx well o-o-b but the tx will quickly run out of gas the further you get away from the hamband.[/quote]

The problem lies in how the TX low pass filter was designed. The roll off frequency is designed to operate for the ham frequencies. When you get much above them, the filters kicks in and attenuates any TX RF above it's designed frequency. As a result, little or no power out in the higher frequencies.

Jim