Kenwood D700A

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Amateur Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

cap1813

Kenwood D700A

Post by cap1813 »

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a kenwood D700A to replace two radios that I use in the fire service. I understand that there may be an upgrade that allows the radios to operate in the PS frequency bands, and I'm curious as to how reliable and functional they might be. I would appreciate any advice/recommendation/report on this radio. Thanks in advance.

Cap1813
Steve
k2xm

Re: Kenwood D700A

Post by k2xm »

cap1813 wrote:I'm looking at the possibility of buying a kenwood D700A to replace two radios that I use in the fire service. I understand that there may be an upgrade that allows the radios to operate in the PS frequency bands, and I'm curious as to how reliable and functional they might be. I would appreciate any advice/recommendation/report on this radio. Thanks in advance.

Cap1813
While it is not illegal to modify an amateur radio, using it on public service frequencies is, as it is not type accepted for use on those frequencies. There have been instances in the past where municipalities were fined by the FCC for using modified amateur radios on public service freqs.
cap1813

Post by cap1813 »

Thanks for the reply k2xm. I do know of public safety agencies that are using them for interoperability, and from what I've heard, they like this radio in that application. You'd think that the FCC would allow this modification for interoperability since it is a DHS hot topic. I've heard that there is a MARS/CAP modification that can be done for this purpose, but am not sure of elegibilty requirements for this modification. I'm definately trying to learn more so my dept is not one of those who are cited. Again any guidance or recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Cap1813
Steve
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The MARS/CAP modification is pure BS. Ham radios are not allowed for MARS or CAP use because they do not meet current technical standards for these services.

Ham radios are not designed for Public Safety use. They do not meet technical standards. The maunfacturer's specs generally say guaranteed only in the ham bands so they are subject to further degredation when modified to operate on other frequencies. Of particular concern is spurious emissions from the transmitter causing interference which is how the FCC can become involved when an agency uses these radios.

You would not buy a garden hose from KMart to fight a fire and you should stick to professional grade equipment for your communications.
k2xm

Post by k2xm »

cap1813 wrote: Again any guidance or recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Cap1813
Since it appears that you need both VHF and UHF capability, check out the line of Kenwood commercial radios. The TK790 (VHF) & TK890 (UHF) can be combined with one control head to give you both bands.

Stick to commercial radio equipment, you'll be glad you did!
cap1813

Post by cap1813 »

Thanks k2xm. You've enlightened me, and I did look over the 790/890 and they might be what I'm looking for.

I really appreciate the advice.

Cap1813
Steve
WC4RAV

Post by WC4RAV »

cap1813 wrote:Thanks for the reply k2xm. I do know of public safety agencies that are using them for interoperability, and from what I've heard, they like this radio in that application. You'd think that the FCC would allow this modification for interoperability since it is a DHS hot topic. I've heard that there is a MARS/CAP modification that can be done for this purpose, but am not sure of elegibilty requirements for this modification. I'm definately trying to learn more so my dept is not one of those who are cited. Again any guidance or recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Cap1813
and remember that anytime someone uses non part-90 certified gear, they put the system license in jeopardy. as others have pointed out, ham gear isn't designed for the duty cycle or demands of public safety use nor does much of it meet technical standards for commercial use. Not to mention liability, imagine how lawyers would have a field day if such equipment is used for "mission critical" applications and something tragic happens. Not worth it. Buy the real deal. Doing anything else is a disservice to those who depend on the radios and systems to work in the worst.

they are hobbyist radios not gear meant for industrial use.