TK370G

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Amateur Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

mark steinmann

TK370G

Post by mark steinmann »

When programming a tk370g with KPG 56D which TK370G listed under the model tab in the program should i use, the problem is that when i read the radio, the comp, will not hold the radio long enough to complete the read. Any help greatly appreciated!
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I am not sure I understand your question. You need to use the specific model type for your radio. You can't change the radio by attemtping to program it as a different model.

You MUST have a stable computer and programming cable connection before you attempt to program the radio or you will "brick" it.

Untill you can find out why you can not read the radio properly, an attempt to write to it will result in disaster.

Do you have the DOS or Windows version of KPG56D? If it is the DOS version, you should be booted into DOS, not running it in a DOS window.

Kenwood DOS software is not as sensitive as Motorola to requiring a slow computer but very early Kenwood software versions may not work with a Pentium computer.
mark steinmann

re:

Post by mark steinmann »

I do have KPG 56D in DOS and have programmed with it before.
In the menu on the programm under "model" and portable there are 4 different models of the 370g the radio model number looks like this 370G
I do not know which selection to choose they all say 370G K,M,E,<N>E
so i dont know which one to choose, any suggestions.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

When you read the radio, it will indicate which model it is. You don't need to select anything.

The model type menu is to create a programming file for a radio without reading it, in which case you need to know what model you intend to program with that file.

If the radio was made for sale in the US, it should be a "K". If it is gray market or something off of eBay it could be anything.

Again, if there is something wrong with your programming setup that you can not read the radio, you need to fix the problem before you try to write to it.
mark steinmann

re:

Post by mark steinmann »

Still can't get it to read, do i have to put the radio in "program" or just open the 56d and read?
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

You don't need to do anything to the radio. Just connect the cable, start KPG56D and select program/read from radio.

Are you getting the "check connection" error message? Are you sure you have the proper com port selected in KPG56D setup? Are you running DOS 6.22 with a "clean" boot (nothing else running)?

If all the above is ok, I would suspect a bad cable or dirty contacts on the radio mic jacks.