8 pin mic jack retaining nut tool ????

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Amateur Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

fineshot1

8 pin mic jack retaining nut tool ????

Post by fineshot1 »

Anyone know of a tool to remove the older circular common(kenwood, icom, yeasu,etc.) 8 pin mic jack
in all the older model radios? I usually us a pair of fine needle nose pliers but the radio on my bench has
one machine tight and I simply can not get it off and it appears I can only get it off with the proper tool.
The repair requires I remove the control head and I can not proceed further without removing this darned
nut.
fineshot1
NJ USA
fineshot1

Re: 8 pin mic jack retaining nut tool ????

Post by fineshot1 »

Bump

Anyone????

Someone must have at least an idea????
fineshot1
NJ USA
WA8YXM

Post by WA8YXM »

I am not sure without seeing the nut what tool is needed.. There are two common nut designs (or 3)

Kurled (Pliars should work, I'd lay electrical or scotch tape on the face before pliering)

Hex (Obviously that is not what you have)

And a design that has two notches 180 degrees apart

The tool for this is called a "Spanner" in the US (Spanner means something slightly different in real English) and you can get one at most any auto parts store.. Post if you need a link to a graphic or... Hold on

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5 ... 056WNQ40PB

There is another one that watch makers use,,, It is used to remove the backs of a watch and it has a kurled knob that sets the distance between the pins.. This is the kind most likely to succeed.

I did not find one in my quick search

But check with your local watch & clock fix-it shop or any horologist (Horlogy: The study of Time, from Greek)
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Thanks for the reply, however neither of those two tools in those links will do the job as the
hex nut is made of a soft brass metal and with the needle nose pliers i have used i have already
done some damage to the 4 slots. In addition this nut sits below the faceplate of the radio in a
very narrow opening around the mic jack.

The only spanner tools i have seen that seems similar are the tools i have seen for some of the older
motorola radios with a similar configuration for volume controls that have the nut recessed under the
plastic faceplate or housing.

This nut is sooooo tight it will not break loose without the proper tool.
fineshot1
NJ USA