TK-3180 below 450?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Boomer740

TK-3180 below 450?

Post by Boomer740 »

Hi everyone.

My company just started taking deliveries of the TK-3180 UHF handheld. I'm guessing we're getting these because the TK-380s aren't supported any more? Or perhaps the 3180 has a better feature set to mesh with our expanding systems? Or maybe there's some secret political reason, I don't know.

In any event, I'm curious to know if anyone has taken one of these into the ham bands, what was involved in doing it, and what was sacrificed in operational capability in the 450-470 band by doing so.

Also, are there any cute "features" or problems with the 3180 that I should be aware of as I start to introduce these to users?

While I have ordered the programming software and cable and a service manual, I have not received any of that yet. Right now all I have is one unprogrammed handheld, and a bucketful of promises from management...

Thanks for any info you might share,

Paul
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

I'm wanting to know this too.
Splat

Post by Splat »

The 3180 is a great radio. Excellent Rx and Tx performance, useable features, easy programmability, and very good accessories. Kenwood got me away from Motorola with this radio, and the 8180 mobile. No problems whatsoever in the 3180, 8150, or 8180 radios I have going down to Tx at 441.xxxMHz. When you enter the freqs into the s/w it'll advise you that they are outside the limits of the radio but it will still take it. No s/w modifications are necessary. I love these radios and expect to buy more down the road.
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

Thanks Splat, that's good to know. I just received my software and programming cable last Thursday, and will be playing... I mean working with the radio come Monday morning. I'll report on any idiosyncracies I stumble across.

Paul
skipp025

Re: TK-3180 below 450?

Post by skipp025 »

The tk-3180 works killer well into the ham bands. I've got my demo 3180 radio
on a 440 low end repeater and a 493 commercial box and it works just
great. Enjoy the radio... I've been selling them like crazy...

cheers,
skipp
skipp025 at yahoo.com

[quote="Boomer740"]Hi everyone.

My company just started taking deliveries of the TK-3180 UHF handheld. I'm guessing we're getting these because the TK-380s aren't supported any more? Or perhaps the 3180 has a better feature set to mesh with our expanding systems? Or maybe there's some secret political reason, I don't know.

In any event, I'm curious to know if anyone has taken one of these into the ham bands, what was involved in doing it, and what was sacrificed in operational capability in the 450-470 band by doing so.

Also, are there any cute "features" or problems with the 3180 that I should be aware of as I start to introduce these to users?

While I have ordered the programming software and cable and a service manual, I have not received any of that yet. Right now all I have is one unprogrammed handheld, and a bucketful of promises from management...

Thanks for any info you might share,

Paul[/quote]
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

Thanks skipp... and splat

When all the tools showed up and I was able to spend some time with the radio it does indeed seem to go into the UHF ham band quite easily. It even seems to stay within specification there!

One question about the programming. The 380 HT had the ability to have the "owners" name, unit number, or whatever briefly appear in the display at power-up. Does the 3180 have a similar feature? I wasn't able to find it in the same place that feature appeared in the 380 programming software.

One final comment, not related to the 3180 particularly. I was able to get copies of the latest XP-compliant software for the x80/x180 and x90 series radios. It works flawlessly, where I was having tons of trouble with the old DOS-based software. Yay!

Thanks again,

Paul
Splat

Post by Splat »

Yep, a power-up message can be done. Look under Optional Features, page 2. I forget what it's called but I think it's down on the bottom right of that page/window.
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

i'll look for it tomorrow.

thanks...

Paul
dmonty83

question...

Post by dmonty83 »

anyone figure out how to get the keypad lock feature to work?

Monty

:beer:
Splat

Post by Splat »

I don't have a DTMF version so this might not work for it. You have to assign "Key Lock" feature to a button. My guess would be it would have to be one of the side, front S,A,B,C, or top emergency buttons. After you program whatever button you want, to active the lock you have to press and hold the button for a second or two. Same to unlock.
dmonty83

DOH!!!

Post by dmonty83 »

DOH!!!

I am used to my old TK-380 that you programmed the lock button and just pressed the button and it was locked. On closer inspection of the 3180 I do have to hold it down.

Do you know anything about the OST (operateable selectable tones)? I am trying to set the radio to be able to change the PL code. As of now I can only get it to change the PL to 67.0 or completely turn off the PL.

Thanks for you help (and slap upside the head)

-Monty

:beer:
Splat

Post by Splat »

Press and hold for 1 second whatever key you have designated as the OST (Operator Selectable Tone) feature, then press the B or C buttons to scroll thru the list of tones you programmed into the OST list with the s/w.
XTS5000r

Post by XTS5000r »

I can also confirm that the TK-3180 works well into the 441.000 ham bands. Works like a champ. :)
Splat

Post by Splat »

Yep. We just bought a few more 3180s and love them. Screw Motorola. We're all Kenwood from here on out.
XTS5000r

Post by XTS5000r »

Splat wrote:Yep. We just bought a few more 3180s and love them. Screw Motorola. We're all Kenwood from here on out.
I second that statement :D