TK-2170 battery life

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

johngoer

TK-2170 battery life

Post by johngoer »

6 new TK-2170 portables with the KNB-26 NiMh 2000 Mah battery's and rapid chargers. Green lite is on when radios are removed from charger but in 4 hrs or less the battery gauge is empty and getting low battery alert on Tx. Anby one had anyu experience with this?

John
johngoer

TK-2170 Battery life

Post by johngoer »

I think I have found the answer to this. These units have a battery adjustment for setting the low voltage point and this needs to be done prior to distributing the radios to end users.

If any one needs this info please contact me and I will give the info Kenwood Tech Svc's gave me.

John
Splat

Post by Splat »

I'm having the same problem. Definitely want to know about this John. Can you email or private message me this info please? Thanks alot.
kb3awq

Post by kb3awq »

Can you send me this info as well as I am having this problem right now because I got into that mode in the program.

My email is fpcaptain@yahoo.com but of course I have many.
John Springman - KB3AWQ
http://www.KB3AWQ.com
W3AHS Repeater World wide via Echolink
http://www.W3AHS.com
john weaver

TK-2170 Battery Life

Post by john weaver »

Please send me the info as well, I am having the same problem.
Thanks,
John Weaver
jaws9008@hotmail.com
jaws9008@charter.net
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

I've noticed this on TK-3173's too. The radio will still TX for several hours after the battery indicator reads empty. The radio alignment instructions include an adjustment for the battery terminal voltage.
kb3awq

Post by kb3awq »

OK, I tried my ol trick. Apparently it didnt save when I did it with the computer so I recommend doing by the keypad.

Drain the battery as low as you can go.
For the TK2170G....
Power on the radio holding the A button and then push the S button and then push the C button about 10 times or so until it shows on the display Batt then whatever the numbers are. (Fully charged mine read 213 with the Lith Ion.) Drain the battery until it read 147 and then push the B button and that will program the warning indicators to 147 which is about the lowest you can go with out the radio turning off.

My TK270G works the same way only I think to get into the mode you push the 3rd button (left arrow key) and then the o button then use the right arrow key to go through to Batt and I think mine shows like 124 for a fully charged battery and I drained mine to like 86 or 90 or somewhere through there before the radio would shut off from low battery. Again I would use the keypad as the computer program I dont seem to have luck with whether I am doing something wrong or it doesnt save or whatever.
John Springman - KB3AWQ
http://www.KB3AWQ.com
W3AHS Repeater World wide via Echolink
http://www.W3AHS.com
johngoer

Post by johngoer »

In the event some one that has requested this info and have not received it I am posting the info I received from Kenwood Tech service on the battery alignment of the TK-2170 etc portables.
John Goerlitz

TK-2170, TK-3170, TK-3173
Battery Detection Alignment & Check Procedures
This information will help you align and test the battery detection circuit in the TK-2170,
TK-3170 and TK-3173. Although the procedure can be done via the Test Mode in the
KPG-101D this document will give you step by step instructions for aligning the Battery
Detection via the front panel.
Required Test Equipment
Variable DC Power Supply capable of 4 amps or higher
Kenwood Battery Jig (Part Number W05-0909-00)
Digital Volt Meter DVM
50 ohm RF Dummy Load
Connections
1) Adjust the Variable DC Power Supply to 7.5 vdc
2) Attach the variable DC Power Supply to the Battery Jig and attach the Battery
Jig to the Radio
3) Attach DVM test leads directly to the Battery Terminals of the Battery Jig
4) Attach the 50 ohm RF Dummy Load to the antenna terminal of the radio
Radio data file configuration
1) Enable Panel Test and Panel Tuning Mode in radios data file
a. Panel Test and Panel Tuning can be found in the programming software
under
Edit > Optional Features > Common Page 2 > Mode
Panel Tuning Mode Alignment Procedures
1) Turn the Radio Off
2) Press and Hold the [A] Key while turning the Radio On
a. The radio will display frequency band (ex [UHF F1]) then [1-1]
3) Release the [A] Key
4) Press the [A] Key again to set the radio to LOW Power (L will illuminate on the
top right hand side of the display)
5) Press the [S] key to enter tuning item mode
6) Press the [C] Key seventeen times to toggle thru the various panel tuning
items until you reach [BATT XXX]
7) Place the radio into Transmit by pressing PTT
8) While the radio is Transmitting, Lower the DC Voltage on the Power Supply
to 5.9 vdc (Notice that while the DC voltage is lowered the reference number will be
lowered at the same time)
9) Once the power supply voltage has been lowered to 5.9 vdc Press the Key
on the Radio to Store the New Reference Value then Release PTT
10) The Battery Detection Alignment is now Complete. Turn the Radio Off then
back On
Battery Level Check Procedures
It is recommended that the Battery Level Check be done on a conventional/Trunking
(user mode) frequency that has been set to low power instead of the Tuning Mode. While
checking the battery level it is recommended that the Battery Warning be set to “While
Transmitting” and the Battery Status be in the Off setting under Edit > Optional Features
> Common Page 2.
1) Adjust the variable power supply to 7.5 vdc
2) Select the channel that has been programmed to low power
3) Key the radio by pressing PTT
4) Lower the voltage on the variable power to supply to 6.8 vdc and confirm that the
radio TX LED is not flashing
5) Continue to lower the voltage on the power supply to 6.5 vdc. The radio TX LED
should begin to blink. This is the first indication to the end user that the radio
battery pack needs to be changed.
6) Continue to lower the voltage on the power supply to 6.2 vdc. The TX LED will
continue to blink and you will hear a tone indicating that the battery is now
exhausted. The radio will stop transmitting.
Programmable Battery Level Indication Options
The 170 and 173 Series radios can be programmed to different Battery Level Indications.
Below are the options and the indications that the end user will see at different voltages.
These indications should be given to the end user in addition to the instruction manual to
familiarize him/her of when the battery should be charged.
[/url][/list][/list]
Splat

Post by Splat »

John, you were kind enough to send this to me, and I appreciate it. I also wanted to thank you for posting this here. Very kind of you, sir.
--
Splat