Programming Insturctions for Kenwood TK-2100/TK-3100

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

JustinMoon205

Programming Insturctions for Kenwood TK-2100/TK-3100

Post by JustinMoon205 »

Have some TK-3100 Kenwood radios. Does anyone have the info on how to change the frequency and PL in these?

Thanks,

-Justin
Archbishop, Church of /\/\otorola ;-)
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

If I remember correctly, if you read a TK-3100, you'll get a list of 8 itinerant frequencies. Clear all the frequencies but one, type the desired frequency in channel 1, set the channel by using one of the F keys (F2?) It will tell you at the bottom of the screen. While you can pick from the list of frequencies, it will let you edit the list.

However, just a note of caution; I programmed some of these from 460 MHz down to 450 MHz, and I had to do some adjustments on audio deviation.
JustinMoon205

Post by JustinMoon205 »

Thank you very much for the info. That is part of what I was looking for, and very helpful.

I also am looking for the instructions on how to program them using the PTT and function key on the radio.......what sequence to press the buttons to change the freq and pl without having the software and cable.

-Justin
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

Hmm, I'm not sure if Kenwood made a version of this radio that was user programmable. I've always just programmed them with the PC programming software. I know Kenwood has a newer model that can be programmed through the PTT key, and some of the versions of the Motorola Spirit could be, but I never knew the TK-2100/3100 to have this feature.
XTS5000r

Additional information for the TK-3100 / TK-2100

Post by XTS5000r »

I use KPG48D to program these radios. I fill all 8 channels and select what of the 8 channels I want using the radios keys (in channel select mode).

The tk-3100 is basically an 8 channel radio, and you can select which of the 8 channels you want with a few button presses.

To change channels (channel select mode):

1 press and hold the PTT & Monitor button while turning the radio on
2 press PTT once (top LED changes color)
3 press PTT button 4 times to go to channel 4*
4 radio will beep 4 times to confirm you selected channel 4
5 press monitor button TWICE to lock in the setting/channel
6 turn radio off, then back on, and your on ch 4 now -- NEAT-O :lol:

*in step 4, you can press the PTT 1 to 8 times - depending on which channel you want to use.

You can turn a 1 channel TK3100 into a 2 channel radio with a top mounted switch. I modified my TK-3100, but didn't make notes while I did it, but all that is needed to do is ground out one 4700 ohm resistor to access channel 2. This second channel must be set up in the KPG48 RSS, and any of the 8 channels can be assigned to channel 1 and channel 2, but this must be setup in the RSS.

Hope this helps out the TK-2100/TK3100 users here.

Cheers.
JustinMoon205

Post by JustinMoon205 »

That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Thank you VERY much XTS5000R. I really appreciate your time and effort to answer my question.

-Justin Moon