99-Channel Kenwood TK-730G

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

k6whp

99-Channel Kenwood TK-730G

Post by k6whp »

I recently got a "new" Kenwood TK-730G off of eBay and was under the impression that it covered 136-160 MHz. However, when I attempted to program it for various amateur frequencies n the 144-146 MHz sub-band, the radio "beeped" on those channels.

Am I "S.O.L." with tis radio or is there "bit bashing" method or other mods that can be done to have this radio operate in the 136-160 MHz range?

My thanks in advance and replies to my personal e-mail address are welcome.
W. H. Phinizy, k6whp
kg6ziu

Re: 99-Channel Kenwood TK-730G

Post by kg6ziu »

k6whp wrote:I recently got a "new" Kenwood TK-730G off of eBay and was under the impression that it covered 136-160 MHz. However, when I attempted to program it for various amateur frequencies n the 144-146 MHz sub-band, the radio "beeped" on those channels.

Am I "S.O.L." with tis radio or is there "bit bashing" method or other mods that can be done to have this radio operate in the 136-160 MHz range?

My thanks in advance and replies to my personal e-mail address are welcome.
Please give us the model # (it will be either a 730-1{150-170} or a 730-2{136-154}. When you program it, put it in SP tune and it should take the frequencies you want.

Phil KG6ZIU
k6whp

Post by k6whp »

Please give us the model # (it will be either a 730-1{150-170} or a 730-2{136-154}. When you program it, put it in SP tune and it should take the frequencies you want.
The silver label on the side of the cooling fins says: "FCC-ID:ALHTK-730G-1" which I am taking to mean that it is a "-1" for 150-170 MHz. Am I still o.k. with the "sp tune" gambit?

Thanks for the quick response.
W. H. Phinizy, k6whp
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

The VCO can be tweaked to handle the lower freqs,it will depend on your radio as to how low it will lock. I have 2,one went to 144.00,the other only to 146.
k6whp

Post by k6whp »

..so it is dependent on the electronics (as opposed to the software). Well, that tears it, I guess, because I need it to operate below and above 144-148 MHz.

Thanks for the help.
W. H. Phinizy, k6whp
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Well,you could get a newer Kenwood like a TK7160.It will do 136-174,128 channels with Alpha display and 50 watts out.
mod
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

You might want to program various in band freq and make sure it will prgram at all.

Is the FCC id a kenwood label or another label? There were a bunch of "dual band" units that were split part and sold a standalone units. The dual band kits/config was still in the radio. What roms does the radio have faa, fab, fac?
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Although my experience is not on the first production run of 30 series radios,
I have found that a FAB was backwards compatable as a single band,and an Fac was backwards compatible with both,and the latest firmware could care less what you wanted,it did them all.
But that is a good idea to program something in the middle of the bandsplit and at least see if the radio works!
Other Kenwood models that do 136-174 and more was the TK705 and 705H
25/45 watts,front panel programming,16 channels and VFO mode available with tone or dpl but simplex only,and VFO scan.
The TK740 and 740H,25/45 watts front panel programmable,256 channels and Alfa display.,there are many more......
mod
k6whp

Post by k6whp »

I appreciate all of the information; what I am hearing is that there are other models (i.e., the TK-740, etc.) that could cover the entire VHF band or 136-174, but that the TK-730 will not. I will try programming a frrequency using the "SP" option and see if it plays.

The FCC ID on the label is, by the way "..TK-730G-1".

the 4-1-1 here is, however, that tis is for the Civil Air Patrol where radios have to be NTIA compliant. The TK-730 is on the list (barely) and will do narrow band/wide band. The eBay seller is gracious enough to offer me a money back deal, so, I want to get the radio back to him in as pristine a fashion as it was delivered..

..then I can start looking around for alternatives that will both handle CAP frequencies and amateur two meter.

If anyone has a TK-730-2 out there that is in good shape..why..
W. H. Phinizy, k6whp
brisk13026

Post by brisk13026 »

What you probably have of is one of those ex-Canadian RCMP radios. I fell victim for this also. I believe these have custom firmware in them, because mine would not go above 160 mhz no matter what I tried. But it had no trouble with 2m frequencies. I also had trouble decoding certain DPL's. even though the FCC tag would indicate that it is a 150-170 radio. I had nothing but trouble with mine, and ended up re-selling in eBay for pennies on the dollar. I would suggest looking for a (U.S.) FAA firmware chip. I ended up having to save my $$ and went will all x90's instead....just my 2 cents worth.
k6whp

Post by k6whp »

because mine would not go above 160 mhz no matter what I tried.
..thank you for the reply. I wish that were so. I believe I do NOT have an RCMP radio. I guess I need to restate my problem: MY RADIO WILL NOT ACCEPT FREQUENCIES BELOW 145.5 MHZ. I WANT TO OPERATE THIS RADIO IN THE U.S. AMATEUR BAND AS WELL AS ON CAP FREQUENCIES. ALSO, THE CAP CHANNELS ARE DUE TO CHANGE IN 2007 OR 2008 AND IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO OPERATE EVEN CLOSER TO 136 MHZ.

This radio is not a Canadian radio because it has an FCC ID "..TK-730G-1" on the silver label. A friend has one of these RCMP radios because his silver label does not have an FCC ID number but instead has a "DOC" ID number and WILL operate both on the CAP frequencies and the U.S. amateur band. How do I know? I have spoken with him while he was using the radio on CAP frequencies.

The eBay seller was gracious enough to allow me to return it. I guess what I am asking, before I return the radio, is: IS THERE ANY WAY TO EASILY AND CHEAPLY MAKE THE FIRMWARE AND ELECTRONICS OF THIS RADIO OPERATE IN THE 136-150 MHZ SEGMENT OF THE BAND. Also, is there anyone out there who desparately needs one of these radios and is saddled with an equivalent radio that does operate in the 136-150 MHz segment that would want to swap? (BRISK13026, it's too bad we couldn't have hooked up sooner!)

My thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and my thanks in advance for any future advice.
W. H. Phinizy, k6whp
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I checked the CAP website listing of NTIA compliant radios and it says the 730G is narrow band compliant only for continued use if it was already in service on 1/2006 AND it has the 2.0PPM stability option.

In addition to the VCO lock question, the radios TX and RX performance rolls off as you move out of the designed bandpass down into the 2M band. Any expectation of making a -1 bandsplit work down to 136, far down to below its design frequency, is unreasonable as well as the fact that operating outside the authorized frequency range would probably void any FCC/NTIA approvals required for CAP use.

The bottom line is the 730G-1 is an obsolete radio not designed for your frequency band.
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

You said the radio wouldnt program below 145. Do you mean will not lock or will not accept the freq imput on the radio? Are you in SP mode?
k6whp

Post by k6whp »

Both; After programming, frequencies programmed in below 145.5 MHz caused a beep when that channel was selected. CAP channels (whose inputs are below 145.5 MHz) did NOT cause a beep when selected but did not work -- i.e., I could effect no communications on those channels although they did not beep.
W. H. Phinizy, k6whp
NodrogCop

Post by NodrogCop »

k6whp,

I sent a PM.