Kenwod TK-250 and Kenwood TK-250G Info needed.

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

john weaver

Kenwod TK-250 and Kenwood TK-250G Info needed.

Post by john weaver »

I am looking for a NON-DOS Programming Software for the above Radios. Does anyone know if it exists? Any Help would be greatly appreciated. I do know it takes the KPG-23D to program with the DOS Version.
Thanks,
John Weaver
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

To my knowledge, Kenwood never came out with a Windows version for either the TK-730 series or the TK-250 series. The models had been discontinued by the time Kenwood started writing windows software, and as far as I know, they chose not to write a windows version of either (the original TK-760 series suffered the same fate, I'm afraid).

Recently, I have been playing with a DOS emulator called DosBox.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

I have been able to get KPG23 and KPG7D to run on Windows XP in a DosBox window, however as yet I have not been able to get the program to talk to the USB to serial convertor.
john weaver

Post by john weaver »

Thank You I will try that. If I can get it to work with the adapter I wll let you know.
n9gik
Site Supporter

That's why I have the old Winders 95 laptop under the desk

Post by n9gik »

Daughter changed her faith and got a Mac. I talked her out of the old Compaq with 95 on it. I loaded the old Kenwood software on it and stuck it under the desk just for that purpose.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

Update: I was able to get the emulator to talk to my COM ports (at least on two machines...an XP laptop with a USB to serial convertor and a Win2000 desktop with a 9-pin serial port).

(Note: There is a configuration file called DosBox.cfg Under ports, you must edit the serial port information so that serial port 1=directserial realport:COM1) I have one XP laptop that's a holdout, but I haven't had time to do further tinkering with that one.

Anyway, worth a look if you're trying to run DOS radio software on a Windows machine. You'll want to go to DOWNLOADS and download the Win32 installer.
WC4RAV

Post by WC4RAV »

is there any risk of bricking a Kenwood running DOS RSS under Windows like there is with Mexirolas? I have always shyed away from this with horror stories of paperweights but my old IBM ThinkPad 360C is slowly dying, and 486 class laptops that still work (hard drives are the most common failure as these things are now entering "adolescence") are getting harder to find.
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

The easy solution is get yourself a $20 ebay 486 laptop and program away.
WC4RAV

Post by WC4RAV »

ohgary wrote:The easy solution is get yourself a $20 ebay 486 laptop and program away.
right but as I said, finding WORKING 486 laptops that are going to be around and continue WORKING in 3-5 years is the issue. You cannot get small 2.5" HDD new anymore, and all HDD's die. I think it is worthwhile to look into getting the old s/w to run on modern PC's.

so is the risk with Kenwood radios as great as Motorolas when it comes to RSS/CPS crashes?
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The problem is that DOS software depends on dedicated access to the com port and no other processes running in the background that can cause any interruption of the data flow to the com port during programming.

Once you have windows running or have device drivers involved for a USB port, etc there is no guarantee that something will not happen to disrupt the data being written to the radio during programming resulting in a corrupted code plug turning the radio into a brick. There is also the problem of newer computers being faster than the radio hardware and programming software can deal with leading to timing problems.

If you want to RELIABLY program older radios you need use the technology that was current when the radio was designed. This means being able to boot into a "clean" DOS environment with no other processes running, a reliable com port RS232 connection and a processor speed and other properties consistent with what the programming hardware and software expects.

The only other soultion, which is not going to happen because the radio manufacturers have no incentive to support older radios, is development of windows programming software design specifically to work with the limitations of the programming interface of the older radios. Third party development of such software is not likely to happen because of limited demand and the fact that the manufacturers probably would not license use of their technology.

Kenwood radios are generally much more tolerant of processor speed issues than Motorola but the risk of corrupted data is present any time you try to run DOS software in other than a pure DOS environment.

Even in DOS, extraneous features like disk compression and cache programs have to be turned off or programming can fail.

Yes, finding the older hardware and keeping it running is a problem. I have gone through several laptops and it gets harder to find suitable replacements but that is the price of wanting to support obsolete radios.
cvasara

Post by cvasara »

True, those old computers will die someday, but the small hard drives are available on eBay for cheap too, just as old dos computers are. The dos based radio programs, Kenwood, GE, Motorola can be programmed right from the disc, so HD storage isn't that critical. GE aka MA Com still uses dos to program thier current MASTR III base stations!
Two or three years ago, I bought four (4) Gateway Solo 2000 computers off eBay for a total of $85.00 plus power supplies, A drives, and a couple CD swapable drives. All are still working today, so if I do lose one, I still have three left to do the dos programming. Pretty inexpensive way to go about it, and a lot less trouble than trying to make XP do a dos emulation
Just my 2 cents worth
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

The reason for trying to run Kenwood software under XP is that I have two service portables that I keep with me on service calls, and a second computer is just yet another thing to lug around (and forget). I've had no problems reading and programming my TK-250 and TK-350.

It's definitely easier to find an old laptop with a genuinue hardwired serial port and just throw DOS 6.22 on it. I have an old Toshiba CS-120 which is a Pentium 90. It has Windows 95 on it, but I have a DOS boot disk to run it in genuine DOS mode. The shop computer is a 386SX-20, which has worked at the shop longer than I have (10 years and counting) and it does a fantastic job with all the DOS software. In fact, it's the most reliable computer in the whole place!

The DOS emulator is more of a curiosity, although it does work with my test radios. Kenwood software is extremely forgiving, and in fact, most of the Kenwood DOS software WILL run under an XP command prompt through a USB to serial adapter. The exceptions were the KPG7D and KPG23D which would come up with a "not enough space for environment" error and wouldn't even open at all. The whole point of the emulator was not to suggest a replacement for a good DOS machine, but for me, it saves me from having to drag two computers around.

So, if you can find a good working 386 or 486 with a hardwired serial port, there's no question that I'd go that route. There's nothing better than the 386 SX-20 running DOS 6.22 in that case...pure DOS and nice and slow 8)
kt2728

Re: Kenwod TK-250 and Kenwood TK-250G Info needed.

Post by kt2728 »

i invested 50 bucks in a panasonic cf25 and it was the best money i ever spent on a computer. it is tough and rugged and it runs on win98 so i can use it for some of my older picky windows moto software and the older dos based software. moto, kenwood and even some vertex stuff. it pretty much goes everwhere with me and the parts for them are still out there.

just my $0.02

thought i would share my good experience

kt
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!!!!
edgar57

Re: Kenwod TK-250 and Kenwood TK-250G Info needed.

Post by edgar57 »

Hi All !

Can anybody help me?
My Kenwood TK250 displ. shows flashing PROG. Cannot programm it now with KPG22 cable - cannot switch over to PC.

How to reset firmware. I have other working TK250 also - mbye somehow to use it - Clone?

Edgar