Kenwood TK-830G & TK-730H control head question

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

rodnsue

Kenwood TK-830G & TK-730H control head question

Post by rodnsue »

How can I determine the model of control heads I have? There are no markings on them what-so-ever. (other than the "Kenwood" on the front)
They have the FAA firmware but the small EEproms. I want to change them out to the 24C16 EEproms and see if I can get them to 160 channels.
I understand only certain Alpha heads are capable of this and I want to know before I order the chips.

Thanks,
RoD
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

The FAA firmware is in the radio, not the head. There are 2 heads a alpha head and non-alpha. The alpha head has a display that goes almost all the way across the head, the non-alpha is just a few inches long.

The only head that can go 160channel is the alpha head, the other head can go to 99 channels. Either can use the hicap memory chips.
rodnsue

Post by rodnsue »

Cool. That's what I needed to know. I know the FAA chips are in the radio, not the head, but just mentioned it.

I must have the Alpha heads since the LCD is almost from one side to the other.
160 channels here I come!! :D

Thanks,
RoD
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

Dont forget you need to have an external speaker on a alpha head.

also keep in mind you dont really have 160 channels but 10 banks of 16 channels. You use the channel selector to change 1 of16 and the arrows to select the bank. minor point but is a difference when it comes to scanning.
rodnsue

Post by rodnsue »

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of that. Are there any other problems
or anomalies I might run into?
These are the 1st Kenwood business band radio's I have played with.
Pretty familiar with the big "M" radio's but not Kenwood.

Thanks,
RoD
rodnsue

Post by rodnsue »

When you say a speaker from the head, are you saying the external speaker connector on the radio is not used? If so where is the speaker connected on the head?

Thanks,
RoD
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

if you have the attached alpha head then the speaker will come off the back of the radio, If you have a remote head kit then the speaker will come off the back of the remote head box.
rodnsue

Post by rodnsue »

OK,
I have the remote heads but the speakers still come off at the accessory connector on the radio. I will investigate coming off the head.

Thanks,
RoD
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

You can go either way with the remote head, but since your most likely going to want to have the head and the speaker close coming off the head is usually done. If you use the rear of the radio then you need to run a separate cable for the speaker.