TK-730 High/Low Power Maybe?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

bentley

TK-730 High/Low Power Maybe?

Post by bentley »

I have a couple of TK-730's that were given to me. So far I have programmed one of them and it seems to have problems with distance and hitting our repeaters. It seems like it is set to 5 watts as it will only transmit at about the same range that my HT1250 handheld will. When I get outside of the distance of my HT the TK also has problems hitting the repeater. I have used other 45w radios in the area and much farther away without problems. I am new to programming these radios and I see that it is selectable 45 or 5 watt but I am not sure where this is set or how to check it. Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
n5tbu

Re: TK-730 High/Low Power Maybe?

Post by n5tbu »

It is a manual adjustment of the power contron in the PA.
mod
bentley

Post by bentley »

I did notice that 3 of the case screws are missing like someone had opened it. Is this an easy adjustment or should I not attempt it? Are there instructions somewhere? Sorry to have to ask for that but I have scoured the googles and can't find anything about it.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

I looked in the book.....put the radio with the front facing you and the antenna socket to your right
There are 2 adjustments, VR1 on the right and VR2 to the left of that one and closer to you.
turn them both max clockwise for 45 watts,VR1 turned max counterclockwise is said to give 5 watts,so that is prob the one you need to look at first.
mod
terry4616

Post by terry4616 »

There is a way to have a high/low on this radios ive done it and i use the relay in the raio that controles the speaker. I was using an external speaker.You set your wats using the vr1 vr2 to the low setting that you want then what you wanna do is short out the vr2 on one of the sides that will cause the radio 2 go on the highest power level and you control the high/low from the control head by pressing the sp button.(take a reading using a dvr meter on vr1 and vr2 as the watts go up the volts go down thats the side u shot out.test it with a jumper wire before starting the mod)