Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Mayfurd

TK-830 programming

Post by Mayfurd »

Ok, I've got the radio in program mode
I've got the KPG-7D software loaded and running, and I have the programming
cable connected to my laptop

But, when I try to read or write it says "check connection".

There is only 1 way to connect these cables, I even bought a null modem adapter, just in case.

Can anyone tell me what the comm port parameters are?
Data speed-bits-stop bits-parity-flow control
that this radio is looking for to communicate?

Or, if there is something else I'm not doing or that I'm not aware of, please advise.

I feel like once I'm talking to the radio I can handle it and will try not to pester....

The programming I need to do to it is pretty basic, just one x/r channel / PL

Thanks,
Steve
Mayfurd

Re: TK-830 programming

Post by Mayfurd »

Well, in reading thru the threads, I may have found the answer to my problem.

I am using a newer laptop, XP, with a USBtoSerial cable. (which is hooked to the RJtoSerial programming cable)
From my reading, I am picking up that this will not work. It takes a true serial port to communicate with the radio?

Thanks
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

First off the tk-830 software is dos software, You need a nice slow machine with DOS, Not DOS in a window, Not dos on XP.
YOu also need a real serial port, no USB ports since DOS isnt going to support it.

With that said find on old 486 or PI laptop, $20 on ebay and use it for your programming.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Actually the 830 software does run and programs the radio from a window. I use it on XP with a 700 Mhz laptop and it works, but with a real serial port. Do check the pins in the mic connector for 12 volts on pin 1. This powers the electronics in your cable. If there is no power check for a clipped or removed resistor inside the control head.
n2meg

Post by n2meg »

Can anyone tell me if there is a mod or a post on how to make the tk830G go into the ham bands
the freq spread on the radio I have is 470-490 MHZ. I'm able to program this radio, what I have done is made it into a scanner for now to scan the local PD. Can anyone point me in the right direction to mod it???

Thanks in advance

I have searched and came up with nothing yet...

n2meg...
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

When you open the software look at the radio choices, select SP tune. That will allow you to enter out of band frequencies. However a 470-490 radio probably won't work in the ham bands without modifications.