No serial port on my laptop ... NOW what do I do?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

n9gik
Site Supporter

No serial port on my laptop ... NOW what do I do?

Post by n9gik »

I have KPG56D software in my desktop computer to program Kenwood radios. I splurged and bought me a new laptop with XP so I could use it to program mobiles easier, etc. Only problem ... it doesn't have a serial port!

Is there a USB cable to use?
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
westcoaster

Re: No serial port on my laptop ... NOW what do I do?

Post by westcoaster »

There are several makes of USB to serial adaptors. We use them to connect to telephone equipment at work. Unfortunatly I don't have one handy right now to let you know make/model.... :(
Vern

Post by Vern »

This is where it gets tricky, I use a Tripp-Lite U209-000-R USB to 9 pin adapter for 60 & 80 series radios. It works well with a 3rd party programming cable I purchased. It will NOT work with the 90 Series cables (Kenwood OEM). After several failed attempts to find an adapter that works, I searched Yahoo's Kenwood groups to see if anyone had found a compatible adapter. Someone recommended something called a BAFO 800. I mail ordered one, and have been happy ever since. It's a USB to 25 pin adapter.

Vern
Splat

Post by Splat »

I got this card after buddies of mine bought it and were using it for a while with zero problems. I've also had nothing but success with SIIG's PCMCIA to serial convertor card. JJ-PCM012-S2 is the model and can be found at http://www.newegg.com. Cheers.
n2rld

Post by n2rld »

Older DOS software WILL NOT work with a USB the Serial adapter DOS software need to see a Real RS232 port and most Older DOS software will not work unless you are Running DOS not dos in a window

Karl N2RLD
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

I haven't ried it my self but this was taken from batlabs.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56415
Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope