No Receive WHY

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

ozzpoppy

No Receive WHY

Post by ozzpoppy »

i have a TK 820 and when i program it i cant get it to receive repeater stations,can anyone tell me why.I can transmit ok to the repeater but nothing comes back strange.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Re: No Receive WHY

Post by n9gik »

I don't know the 820 or what software you are using, but here are a couple things to check (as in "been there, done that") First is basic radio. You do have the correct receive frequency programmed in the receive memory in the radio? or instance, on 2 meters you would transmit on 147.900 and listen on 147.300, or 146.850 Tx and 146.250 Rx. We had a problem with a neighboring county Sheriff repeater not working. Turns out I had been given the wrong frequency for the repeater input.

Is the subaudible tone set correctly? I had problems with a highway dept repeater our fire dept was authorized to use as needed in emergency situations. It turns out we had messed up the decode frequency. The correct tone was something like 88hz and we had programmed 89.5. The details are unimportant, the concept is very important. If all the numbers don't match it won't work.

Oh! and does the repeater transmit a subaudible tone? If the radio is set to decode a tone and the repeater doesn't send one the radio will act like a square rock and just set there looking stupid.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
ozzpoppy

Post by ozzpoppy »

Hi and thanx for the advice but im using the stand alone KPT 50 programmer and when i put in the local repeater freq i get no RX,but listening to my hand held i find when i TX i make the trip there and i listen to the RX also on the H/Held.Im told by people i speak to im getting in great but again no RX.I put in a local courier company freq and i get RX great,also the repeater im keying up dosnt have subaudible tones for sure as i have programmed this freq a thousand times in other radios.I have tried a shit load of prog combo's hoping it will work but no luck and as im not an expert on the workings of this radio, im sure the prog side of it is ok.This is 450-520mghz band too.I double check the programmer and all the info going in is correct so what can it be?
ozzpoppy

Post by ozzpoppy »

Surely someone out there must have an opinion as to what might be causing this issue with the radio,please let me know!
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

The rec front end filters are very narrow and prob need tuning.
mod