TK-780 / TK-880 programming issues

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

KI4LTX

TK-780 / TK-880 programming issues

Post by KI4LTX »

I am trying to read/program two different radios, one TK-780 and one TK-880.

I am running Windows XP, and using KPG49D version 4.02 with a KPG-4 programming cable.

Here is what is going on. When I try to read either of the two radios after powering up, the display changes from the current channel name to “PROGRAM”, the red LED on the radio blinks, and the program responds with “Please check all connection and communication port settings”

I only have one port (Com 1) on this computer, and it works fine with the following combinations:

KPG-56D w/ KPG-22 on TK-372G and TK-370G
KPG-82D w/ KPG-22 on TK-3160

I have been told that the KPG-4 will work on the TK-x80 series, but I am beginning to wonder if I need the KPG-46 instead.
Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

John
KI4LTX
KI4LTX

Re: TK-780 / TK-880 programming issues

Post by KI4LTX »

Just to let everyone know, it turns out that the cable I was using was faulty. It would transmit to the radios just fine, but the response from the radio back to the PC was not getting through, even though I could see the data leaving the radio on a scope. There is either an open in the RX path back to the PC, or a bad TTL-RS232 level converter that has failed. Another cable worked just fine, confirming the diagnosis.

John